Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Issues to date with 2002 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 05:42 PM
LadyRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues to date with 2002 Ram 1500

I am curious if any one has had problems or issues similar to mine:
1. When shifting into reverse, the gear does not always engage and it either won't back up or makes a grinding noise
2. When weather and engine is cold , upon acceleration hear a whistling noise[]
3. The door and roof design - poor, water, snow and blowing dirt build up on top and when the door is opened water, snow and dirt fall either on your head, face, or seat of truck[>:]
4. Of course, lousy gas mileage[:@]
5. A lot of wind or highway noise makes me think the insulation stripping isn't adequate
6. I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube and ever since have heard a hissing noise but only during acceleration; JL couldn't locate a cause and neither could the dealership

Don't get me wrong I love my truck. I guess I'm trying to determine how widespread some of these issues are and therefore, is Dodge aware of them and can they repair or resolve them.
Thanks for any feedback.
LadyRam

Old 04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Aftrshck
Veteran
Default RE: Issues to date with 2002 Ram 1500

I can not say that I have had those problems. The only problem I have had was the catyletic converter went bad and they covered it under warranty.
The way the design of the door, may cause snow to fall on you when you open the door, but I do not see it as a huge issue....at least i havent had problems with it....
The most common problem i have had is the clunk when shifting into reverse....and its got new heavy duty u-joints....and it started again....thats my only issue...

Oh yea, and mine is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport

Old 04-03-2004, 12:06 PM
gotsnow?

LadyRam,
If I were you i would raise hell about the reverse problem! My '02 QC makes a "whirring" noise when it shifts into reverse, but has never failed to engage, and certainly no grinding noises.
The roof design has never really bothered me, but since you've mentioned it I've noticed it more!
I don't have a problem with wind or highway noise, my trucks been more quiet than others i have owned.
As far as engine issues, you didn't mention weather you have a hemi, or a 4.7.My 4.7 has been pretty bullet-proof for me, i haven't noticed any similar issues!

At this point I have a steering rack on order, and being installed under warranty. I noticed fluid dripping from around the boots on the power unit. I asked if i would have to fix it every 24,000 miles, and was told"Oh no, the seals were probably not seated right at the factory.We can't replace just the seals, so we're replacing the whole thing."
Hope this helps!? And good luck with that tranny problem! Keep us posted, and let us know how helpful your dealer is!

'02 1500 SLT QC Graphite Metallic/Silver 2-Tone 4.7L Tow package

Old 04-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Vader
Champion

Yeah #3 is a pain for me. Snow, rain get in the channel and get all over the drivers seat. Poor design.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

The "whirring" noise going into reverse is a normal thing. Took it to the dealer and he promptly showed me in the owners manual where is says that. Hhaha[sm=smiley9.gif]

The roof design stinks too. Also my design stinks also. Im only 5'6" and jumping up and down to clean the top of the door seal atleast keeps me warm.[:@]

Gas hog is enough said. [:'(]

Mine is quiet until I put on the rain guards. They make it a lil bit noiser. [&:]

Old 04-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 04-13-2004, 12:20 PM
gotsnow?

CA Ram,
I'm always yelling at the kids in back to close thier windows before my head explodes!!!!!!!!Some kind of air pressure thing.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:43 PM
sreitz

Theres somethineg about the tumping in your owners manual too. I Forget what its called, play with different window heights and cominations, like put the back ones half way up and teh fronts down...or one higher then the other. You can get it to go away. Cavitation?....resonation? I cant remember what its called but I'm pretty sure its one of the "tions"

Old 04-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Ruslt
Rookie

Of course, lousy gas mileage

Old 04-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Issues to date with 2002 Ram 1500