Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:26 PM
MAYOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#WORD ; Here is an interesting link with from K&N's website with some possibly good info. Have to sort thru and make your own judgement of fact/science vs. marketing. I'll be interested to see what K&n's response from Dusty is.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:37 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I noticed they've already addressed the issue of over-oiling causing the coating of the sensors. [sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-16-2004, 03:48 PM
MAYOR

I almost interpret from K&N that they are more concerned about filtering down to a certain micron size. So it's possible they wont filter as well and oil analysis is showing raised silicon levels, but K&N is stating that the particle size that is being passed thru is not large enought to envoke damage.....so does the increased volume of the silicon matter or is it really the size of the silicon particles that matter? I dunno, I'm definitely no expert.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:54 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Nor I. I seem to recall reading something about K&N oil filters being able to filter out the smaller micron sized particles that the air filter might let through....have to look for it again....[sm=smiley23.gif]

Old 04-16-2004, 04:23 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We sure don't want particles big enough to bounce around in the cylinder. If the particles are in the same size range as the carbon particles that are being produced inside the combustion chamber, then there is a good chance it's going to be flushed into the oil and filtered out. I'm no expert either, but would love to see what facts are going to come out of all this. It could get interesting.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:12 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I don't know if I mentioned this, but Mopar sells an exact copy of the K&N filter for the SRT-4, same price, same everything except color. If the K&N design has these shortcomings, why did Mopar use it???

Old 04-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Randy_W
Professional

I have raced off shore boats for years, I replace all stock flame arrestors with K&N units. Believeit or not, the silica content went up in the oil on my boat motors! Where would sand be coming from? I don't have a clue, so I checked around with anybody that might know. I found that every engine with K&N filters had a higher silica content! The catch was the particles were so small they stay in suspension and cause no harm. These are not full size grains of sand, but particles so small you almost couldn't find them with a microscope! So I will continue to use these velocity stacks on my boat and filters in my land vehicles.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:48 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

OK folks, another clue to the mystery. Thanks, Randy_W for your input on this!! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-18-2004, 02:38 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

We sure don't want particles big enough to bounce around in the cylinder. If the particles are in the same size range as the carbon particles that are being produced inside the combustion chamber, then there is a good chance it's going to be flushed into the oil and filtered out. I'm no expert either, but would love to see what facts are going to come out of all this. It could get interesting.

Not entirely true.

If the levels of silicon are higher during oil analysis testing (when using K&N filters), it means that the particulates have not been filtered out. They were still suspended in the oil.

I just replaced my K&N drop-in with an Amsoil "Flowzair" drop-in. I compared both of them and noticed that the seal around the edges was poorer with the K&N. The flowzair had a thicker sealing edge that made it harder to close the housing. One theory as to why K&N has higher SI readings is because of a bad seal as well as the free-flow design. The K&N allows more air as well as more dirt. If you belive that K&N actually filters better than a quality paper filter, your a victim of marketing hype.

Here are more discussions about K&N filters:
Air filter forum: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...ubb=forum;f=15

K&N filter debates: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...;f=15;t=000175

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...;f=15;t=000025

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...;f=15;t=000092

Bill,

Old 04-18-2004, 11:43 PM
moparturd
Banned

Like I've said, I've run them since the early 90's and never had an engine problem, period. I might be concerned (not really) about the high silica #s if I did fall for marketing hype (amsoil) and only changed my oil once a year (amsoil). [sm=smiley2.gif]

NO COMMERCIALS or PROMOTIONS PLEASE.

Sorry Dustyloins. I see you use this stuff, and thanks for not bashing everything without an amsoil label.

By the way. Thanks Randy_W for your un-sponsored opinion.

Quick Reply: CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants