Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

flow master worth it or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:19 PM
AMT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flow master worth it or not

howdey, I got 98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 liter with a stock exhaust. Im wondering if any one has a flowmaster and give me some info on it such as is worth the money and effort such as loudness and performance. thanks lenny (its got a performance intake and throttle body spacer if it makes any differance with the exhaust)

Old 12-27-2005, 05:18 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: flow master worth it or not

Yes I have one although I'm not sure which series it was on the truck when I bought it so I also don't know about how it affected power or gas milage. It sounds very good. Inside with the windows up it isn't loud at all you can't really hear it unless you get on it hard if you have the music on without music you can hear it at low rpms at higher rpms the stock intake seems slightly louder and with the windows down you can hear it but still not too loud. Outside the truck it is pretty dag on loud. I like it a lot sometimes I wish it was louder sometimes I wish it was quieter like if I have people riding with me and I just want to talk it seems a little loud but really not bad you just hear it in the background. It also seems slightly louder if you sit in the backseat but still not loud inside the cab. I think it's a good exhaust and it sounds awesome if I have to redo the exhaust I would go with Flowmaster again. Mines also on a 5.9L

Old 12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

put JBA headers, 3' exhaust and a flowmaster super 40. It'll sound like a muscle car (depending on how good your truck is maintained). If it's running good, it will sound awesome.

You will be happy- money WELL spent.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

I have JBA ceramic coat headers, JBA 3' Evol exhaust, Magaflow hi-flow cat and have replaced the JBA muff w/ a FM super 40. The hi-flow cat and headers will make the most difference, whether you go with magnaflow or other. Good flow cat and 3' out or dual 2' out and you'll sound GREAT.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Performance gain from adding a Flowmaster will be very little. If you are after the sound and not a performance gain go for it.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:06 AM
SST_Ram

I'am running the Flowmaster "American Thunder" kit. (40 series two chamber muffler, the louder one.)You can get it as a side or rear exit. Its tame when cruising, but hit the pedal and you'll hear a decent sound. I added shorty headers as well. It's been in for about three years with very minimal rust. It costs under $300 complete with all the hardware you could possibly need.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

I run a super 40 from flowmaster and I love it. It has a great sound and I have felt a little bit of torque increase.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Blackflag

As 94RT said, the performance wont improve as much as if you had say, a straight through muffler. All the baffles create a lot of turbulence and really mess with the flow. Now, they do sound good, but I think that you can get an equal if not better sounding system with some research. In the past if I didnt want to run conventional modern mufflers the answer would be glass packs. And if you think glass packs are too loud you may be a little light in the boots.

Quick Reply: flow master worth it or not