Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:56 AM
RuckstaR
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil filter

Just because a company has been around for a while, and merely because it has been contracted by the military doesn't mean it was, is, or ever has been quality product. In addition, air filters and oil filters are completely different, and cant really be compared. No offence meant of course. With regard to the tough gaurd....Whether your Fram is a tough gaurd, double gaurd, extended gaurd, these names only reflect a difference in the filtering medium. Some are finer, some have teflon, etc etc. The common failing point in Fram and other cheaper filters is the valve, which had been proven to allow dirty oil back into the treated clean oil, and then into the engine. It is perfectly plausible that you have not had any problems with Fram, no two engines are the same, and no two owners are the same either. Just as the debate with KandN filters, some people have bad luck, some have good, but ultimately the only way to ensure you maximize your chance for good results is to buy the product that has failed infrequently for the greatest number of people. In this case, Fram and its 'sister' products are not that choice, at least according to every study I have read.

I also feel compelled to add that plenty of companies who offer crappy product have been around for a long time. I just saw some new 2005 Fords on the lot yesterday...1903 to 2005, thats 102 years of crappy product!

Old 06-16-2004, 01:45 AM
DakaDan
Professional

I also feel compelled to add that plenty of companies who offer crappy product have been around for a long time. I just saw some new 2005 Fords on the lot yesterday...1903 to 2005, thats 202 years of crappy product

Dont you mean 102 years of crappy service

Old 06-16-2004, 01:58 AM
RuckstaR
Professional

I SWEAR THAT WAS A TYPO...I REALLY CAN SUBTRACT...I PROMISE

1+1=11 [&:]

Ya I spose Ford offers crappy service too, their crappy product discouraged me from ever needing to utilize their crappy servie though lol

Old 06-17-2004, 03:29 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

I use the MoPar filters. Got them on ebay for less than half what I could get them for locally.

Mopar filters are usually re-painted Frams.

Old 06-18-2004, 07:04 PM
moparturd
Banned

[sm=lol.gif]

Where's your proof?

[sm=smiley26.gif]

Old 06-18-2004, 07:19 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

YEA wheres the proof????

I use Amsoil filters BUT as I'm changing my oil tonight and I'm switching from 5w-30 to 10w30 I'd like to know which Filter to pick up.

should I stick with Amsoil or should I go with something else??

I don't know anything about oil filters.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:25 PM
moparturd
Banned

The filters for the Hemi are Purolator, other models are Fram, and others are even made by companies I've never heard of. If you've been using the amsoil filter maybe it's best to stick with them since they are supposedly designed for the longer change intervals.

Old 06-20-2004, 02:35 AM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: yawnshemi420

YEA wheres the proof????

I use Amsoil filters BUT as I'm changing my oil tonight and I'm switching from 5w-30 to 10w30 I'd like to know which Filter to pick up.

should I stick with Amsoil or should I go with something else??

I don't know anything about oil filters.
If your sticking with Amsoil oil, go for the sdf-42 or the 1.5 inch longer sdf-15.

In regards to the Fram / Mopar connection, I got the info from DTO. What I have been reading is the manufacturers routinely change their filter makers based on cost (less expensive wins the bid).

Old 06-20-2004, 02:43 AM
dodgemech
All Star

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

The filters for the Hemi are Purolator, other models are Fram, and others are even made by companies I've never heard of. If you've been using the amsoil filter maybe it's best to stick with them since they are supposedly designed for the longer change intervals.
Curious where you obtained that info. I've worked in the service dept for Chrysler since 1992 and have never heard that-EVER. Yes, I have asked.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:04 AM
talyjay

Instead of replacing your little oil filter there is a kit installed on my Hemi that has added two large oil filters in place of the stock filter. I did not put this kit on the truck so I don't know what it is called exactly, but it adds about 1 1/2 quarts of oil and it has two Mobile 1 filters. I had never seen this kit before but it definitely seems the way to go.

Quick Reply: oil filter