Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil filter

Mopartodd-something else just occured to me, the HEMI uses a 5281090, the same filter used on all Magnum engines since 1993 and all V6 engines since the late 80's, the 4.7 V8 and some of the 4 cylinders over the last decade-how can the HEMI filter possibly be from a different vendor? Just curious.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:00 AM
moparturd
Banned

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...udy-mopar.html I only looked at this to reference who made the filter, not for performance, cost, pretty paint job, how much it weighs, what it smells like, etc.

This is something I saw a while back. It explains what you are saying about the different manufacturers of the filters. It also looks at the #5281090 filter too. Seems to me the factory wouldn't want to put some POS filter on an engine they have to warranty for 70K or longer. The filters are built to a minimum specification for DC, by the lowest bidder.

Still seems to me that the key is that the filter is changed on a regular basis, regardless of what that claimed/design interval may be.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:39 PM
sgbofav
Professional

If you really must have this filter, consider looking to another brand, such as Purolator or Wix. Just look up a Dodge Viper or Ram Truck with a 8.0L V10, or use the Mopar Conversion Table above. The problem is that the Purolator is suspiciously like the Fram, however I know it is not a Fram because of the way it was constructed (assembly string, etc). Like the Frams, it has cardboard end caps and a few of the pleats were not glued down. My advise is to avoid all of these filters and go with the Ford 5.0L filters.

Another reason why I use Super Duty Filters from Amsoil.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:15 AM
moparturd
Banned

The quote you use isn't for the standard Hemi filter (5281090), but the severe duty (53020311), which according to this paper is a Fram. But the standard filter is Purolator, not Fram.

It's obvious that they are talking about different filters. Thanks for your input just the same though.

Old 06-25-2004, 04:24 AM
SRT 8 guy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had good luck with Wix filters (oil, air and fuel)

Quick Reply: oil filter