Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

6X9 fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:01 AM
SRT 8 guy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6X9 fitment

I want to replace the 6X9's in the doors of my 2002 reg. cab. The local car stereo place said i need to get speakers that are "not as deep" as the average pair of 6X9's. Of course the speakers are more expensive! Is this a ploy by the shop to get more money? or is it the truth? Any advice on this matter would be great; also if you have installed any your selves let me know the manufacturer and model number if you would please.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Chauncy
Rookie
Default RE: 6X9 fitment

sounds like a crock to me

I had all 6 speakers replaced in my 03 QC 2500

used normal Sony speakers he had laying around, didn't order no "special" shallow speakers

went with Sony 6x9's in the front doors, 6.5's in the back and 3.5's in the dash

Old 06-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Mikeg1005
Professional

Ya, that does sound like they are making something up. Because as far as I know, on my 98', I know its a different body but same concept, but there was plenty enough room behind the speaker to mount something deeper, so I am guessing that it wouldn't be much of a difference on the newer body, becuase it is even bigger, but ya, sounds like someone is trying to scam you on that one.

my 2.

Mike

Old 06-23-2004, 04:21 AM
Chauncy
Rookie

now my subs were a mother to get under my backseat because they have double magnets and those damned storage compartments, but you should be able to put any 6x9 into your truck

even with the upgraded Infinity system aftermarket sounds better, I guess my major reason was I went from pure bass 6x9 to a 3way 6x9 and relied on my subs for bass, my radio's loud as hell right now, with great quality and good bass with the 10's

however, when you do it, if you get subs, go through and put something inside the door panels, and I don't mean like normal dynomat, the way Dodge did the door panels, the slide on with little hooks inside holes of the metal door, if you don't put anything to damper the rattle from there it will drive you insane, even with no subs and bass hits

next on my agenda is new amp for my mids and highs so I can turn my bass above -8 at a normal listening level

Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 AM
SRT 8 guy
Professional

I went to crutchfield.com and they only recommended 3 different 6X9's for the door. I sent them an email asking if depth was an issue but they have not responded. This is starting to drive me crazy[]

Old 06-25-2004, 01:29 AM
crcarch
Professional

It's BS.

I installed JBL GTO series 6x9 3-ways. No problem at all with depth. Chauncy is right. Sound mats are a must for the doors.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:19 AM
1lowSST

If you dont have a kick pod or any thing like that you could also look into getting an adapter plate for a 6.5" speaker and run a 6.5" component set in the door or a 3 way component set and that will include a speaker for the dash. For good sound staging you usually want 6x9's behind you to the because they act as a rear fill.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 AM
loosewheelbob

It is possible that only certain speakers will fit. I bought a pair of Rockford Fosgate 6x9's to put in the door's on my '97. They wound up being both too deep and too tall. Mounted behind the door panels with no spacers the magnet would hit on the window guide, and then with a spacer to take care of that problem, they stuck out too far and i couldn't put the door panel back on. I would up cutting a hole in the door panel so the mid and high ranges wouldn't hit the panel.

The guy might not be BSing you. It could be that he doesn't carry any speaker brands that are shallow enough for your truck. Shop around, there are some that fit your truck, you just have to find them.

Quick Reply: 6X9 fitment