Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Recommended Oil For Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:39 AM
TitansFan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Oil For Hemi

Everyone probably has their own opinion as to what oil is the best, but what kind of oil are you guys using in your Hemi trucks? I have an '03 2500 and do some towing if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
DakaDan
Professional
Default RE: Recommended Oil For Hemi

I dont have a Hemi.. But I run Mobil 1 in all my cars. Highly recommend it.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:05 PM
SilverHemi03

Not to start a flame war of Dino vs Synthetic.

During the warranty period, I am using 5W and 10W30 Chevron Supreme or Havoline (Same company and nearly identical oil) and a good filter Wix, Napa Gold, or Pure One. I wil change oil and filter every 3-3500 miles.

After the warranty period I may very well switch to a synthetic and push the change interval back.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM
crcarch
Professional

I'd recommend Valvoline for general use although I use Mobil 1 in my Challenger, because it's not a daily driver and doesn't see a lot of miles put on it in a year.

I've used the standard oil for years and never had an oil related problem. I've rebuilt two motors which had been run on Valvoline exclusively, and they looked great at tear-down. One didn't even require being bored out after 145K. I used the Synthetic blend in a turbo VW Passat which had the head pulled after 90k. The cylinders looked brand new.

According to the two brothers who have the weekly article in the paper and are on talk radio, changing at 3,500 is a waste unless you running in extreme conditions because the modern oils are so good. From what I've seen, I'd have to agree. On each of my vehicles, I change the oil at 5k intervals. 7500 is too long for me to feel comfortable. I use Fram or Purolator filters.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:05 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Synthetic is the way to go, no matter what type of vehicle you drive. Modern science lets them "build" the oil to exact specs and there is no chance of contaminants.

The next time you're on an airline and flying at 40,000 feet at 500 mph, that's SYNTHETIC OIL keeping you up there!!!! I don't think there's much better proof than that.....[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-25-2004, 01:54 AM
sudadog

everyone I know who has anything to do with engines suggests full synthetic ALWAYS...its just supposed to be the best. Also, I've heard enough bad stuff about Penzoil (somthing about their blend of additives) that I'll steer clear of them for life!

Old 06-25-2004, 02:43 AM
SRT 8 guy
Professional

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents about the greatness of mobil 1 oil. I've owned lots of cars and trucks and never been unhappy with it.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:13 AM
TitansFan

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil For Hemi