Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

I have an engine problem I think

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:51 PM
subman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an engine problem I think

1996 Dodge Ram 1500
5.9 V8
Auto tranny

Here is the problem that I am having. A couple of days ago my truck started vibrating when going down the highway. It doesn't do it all the time. If I am running 65 mph it doesn't vibrate as bad, but it surges a little from time to time. But if I am going around 45 mph and the overdrive kicks in it vibrates something fierce. If I rev the engine to put it in passing gear, it gets up and goes. My check engine light came on so I replaced the plugs(ac Delco), plug wires, disty cap and rotor thinking that I had a engine miss. I took to Auto Zone and had them put it on their scanner to see what the code was. It said that I have multiple cylinder misfires. I checked each of the spark plug gaps and they were all .035.
After I checked everything over I took it out to for a test drive. This time I was on a fairly flat road and put in first and stomped on it. It ran just fine with no vibrating from idle- x rpms. Then I put it in second and stomped on it. It ran just fine from idle to x-rpms. I put in drive and got going about 70mph and put it in neutral and revved the engine a couple of times. No vibrating or hesitation in neutral, but when I put it back in drive about 45 mph and push the peddle it would vibrate enough to shake the crap out of my front seat. When in park, I can revv the engine up with very little hesitation.
What could it be?

Old 06-25-2004, 08:11 PM
subman
Default RE: I have an engine problem I think

no one?

Old 06-25-2004, 10:53 PM
rumblebeerider

I'm old school And don't know much about the computers etc.etc. You could have have a few problems If you think you fixxed the engine problem and the engine light went off. You could have anything from missing wheel weight , broken /faulty tire, like maybe you hit a pot hole or curb or boulder.... and the good ole feel it in the seat vibration use to be a bent drive shaft or bad U joint.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:05 PM
silverRam

my fathers dodge did the same thing and it wasnt a engin pproblem, but a suspension problem. the upper control arm and lower ball joint where gone, due to years of towing and going. and would give bad vibrations only when it wanted to or if the conditons where right. basicly it did it when it wanted to or just unexpectedly

1.the first thing you should due is check all fluid levels. and check you vehicle log to see when the last time you had a transmition flush and filter change. i know for a fact the the your transmtion is a vary sensitive one. so was my fathers.

2. have your front suspension fully check.

hope you find the problem. your problem may be smaller than you think

Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
subman

Thanks for all the replies. Ball joints???? I will have to check those. I will check the tie rod ends also.
I checked the u-joints and they seem fine. I may have to actually take the drive shaft out and check it.
You guys have got me thinking........
Anyone else have a suggestion?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:33 PM
rumblebeerider

usaully you feel front end problems in the steering wheel and shaft back in the seat...good luck!

Old 06-28-2004, 06:57 PM
subman

now the entire ignition has been replaced and it still does it. I took it to a transmission shop to have them check it out. They said it was a multiple cylinder misfire. I checked the the entire ignition system 4 different ways and everything is fine.
I guess I will put in the shop to have it looked at. I will lwt you guys know what the problem is when I find out.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:55 PM
subman

I think I may have found the problem. From what it appears to be is either a plug or some kind of sensor fell out on the back on the intake.
What I need to know is what went there. The 1/ 2 hole is on the passenger side on the back of the intake. Can anyone help me.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you really need to get the AC Delco plugs out of there, Dodge trucks prefer Champion plugs. I see it daily. You would be surprised how the wrong plug can affect the performance.

Quick Reply: I have an engine problem I think