Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 PM
hight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Oil

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Got a link? I'd like to learn some more.
I've been perusing the General Electric Lexan site and couldn't find anything very interesting except a dull press release, but a google search for the product, LEXAN SLX, turned up these:

http://www.gelexan.com/press_pack/04_01_29_d.html
http://www.ai-online.com/show/sh_Pro...ail.asp?prod=5

The company I work for takes the raw GE synthesized plastic pellets and designs the multi-layer extruders and thermoform machines to turn the product into whatever customer wants. LEXAN SLX is the product that is used on the current Volswagen minivan tops. As the article states, we are currently working on another R&D project for the vertical panels. Chrysler cleared out a whole factory in Canada for us to test our newest thermoformers for this product so paintless plastic body panels will be coming to Daimler Chrysler cars in the very near future.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:59 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. The thought of not having to polish and wax my car is something I've wished for as I've gotten older. Good luck. I hope it works out.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:56 PM
TSR6

......but.... what happens when the surface gets a deep scratch?

Since you can't paint it....... replace it?

I guess thats fine for the roof of a mini-van, nobody is going to door-ding ya, or run a bicycle handle bar across the top.... but is this going to be used for bumpers and such?

Old 08-10-2004, 12:21 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie

Well I have been sitting around watching, when time permits. Exactly what was suspected, nothing!! "hight" you have now resorted to name calling?? Bad form, what are you guys doing? Personal vendetta? Yep as I previously said. You proved it, and have nothing to back anything up! Funny that this is an oil thread, and we are now helping with paint.
Did you back anything up? Nope, nor did you answer my questions. As a matter of fact, lets show the general public, just what politics are in racing!! This is it guys...
Now what??

Little sideline...I have had multiple sponsors, and have now; involved with the alcohol industry. Do you see the slight innuendo? There is more than that...but...

I'm here to SHARE information (this is reasonable in the racing realm) perhaps not all secrets, but general information. That alone is a different story.
So I'm a "thick headed idiot" YEP 100%... but your still looking after me, strange.
What it boils down to is sore losers.... Had to look me up...you proved your point...RACING IS POLITICS!!!!
I ask you just to read between the lines... This is just total BS...
I'm here to help, and have a place to come and enjoy myself, not be bastardized.
Also, at this time, Nore ever has "Mobil" sponsored me. Never ran there sticker!!!!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:47 AM
moparturd
Banned

[sm=icon_beat.gif]

You two fight nice now.

[sm=smiley2.gif]

Bulldog. Any way I can get some free sample from the alcohol industry.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Palm
Professional

Welcome both, hight and Bulldog to the forum. While I'm not sure which one is correct, maybe they both are, I sure did enjoy the debate. It could have been kept at a more civilized level (no name calling) but it was interesting reading.

Truth be known, both probably bring a great deal of value to the forum. Just my opinion.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:22 PM
hight

ORIGINAL: BULLDOG

Well I have been sitting around watching, when time permits. Exactly what was suspected, nothing!! "hight" you have now resorted to name calling?? Bad form, what are you guys doing? Personal vendetta? Yep as I previously said. You proved it, and have nothing to back anything up! Funny that this is an oil thread, and we are now helping with paint.
Did you back anything up? Nope, nor did you answer my questions. As a matter of fact, lets show the general public, just what politics are in racing!! This is it guys...
Now what??

Little sideline...I have had multiple sponsors, and have now; involved with the alcohol industry. Do you see the slight innuendo? There is more than that...but...

I'm here to SHARE information (this is reasonable in the racing realm) perhaps not all secrets, but general information. That alone is a different story.
So I'm a "thick headed idiot" YEP 100%... but your still looking after me, strange.
What it boils down to is sore losers.... Had to look me up...you proved your point...RACING IS POLITICS!!!!
I ask you just to read between the lines... This is just total BS...
I'm here to help, and have a place to come and enjoy myself, not be bastardized.
Also, at this time, Nore ever has "Mobil" sponsored me. Never ran there sticker!!!!
All I can do is laugh now. What do I have to prove? I'm not real sure how you have convinced yourself that you have PROVED anything either, but it's clear you think you are right. It is obvious to everyone that I'm not going to change your mind so why bother. As we have already discussed without you, I do have a job to attend to so I'm not going to keep wasting time with this crap.

BTW, paint came up because others where either trying to defuse the situation or they were genuinely interested in the discussion. I guess again, we aren't talking about you, so you had to pipe up again. You are worse than my 2 year old daughter who feels she has to scream everytime her mother and I have a conversation that doesn't involve her. The only difference between this and that is it's cute when SHE does it.

To answer everyone else's questions, when a panel gets too badly damaged it is simply replaced but some of the tech articles I have read says that it CAN be repair through "conventional" methods although I'm not real sure what that means. Remember, I just design the machines to process the raw ingredients to make the plastic for GE and process it into the final product for the auto suppliers. Even thought this phase of development is no longer "R&D" I don't know too much about the product beyond what is necessary to design the machines. Many of the projects for companies like these are done under a "non-disclosure agreement" meaning that I only get info that pertains to me and not much else. They are afraid I might give away the family secrets I guess. At this point, it's not going to be used for bumpers because it is designed to keep it's structural shape and not flex at 60 mph. The rigisity would cause it to literally explode upon the slightest impact. There is another platic in the works though so stay tuned!

Lastly, I spoke of Daimler Chrysler testing the product a few posts ago. In a matter of excellent timing, it was announced yesterday what they were doing with the product. Here's the press-release:

http://www.ge.com/stories/en/20082.h...ducts_Business

Ok, that's it for me! I'm jumping off this sinking ship!

Old 08-10-2004, 01:32 PM
moparturd
Banned

Thanks hight. I am interested in this new finish for all the obvious reasons. Don't bail on us because of a little heated discussion, it happens from time-to-time.
[sm=imsorry.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

Quick Reply: Motor Oil