Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

98 Strat Cat and O2 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM
matt_g3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Strat Cat and O2 Problems

Somebody please help my 6 cyl. 98 Strat ES with 130,000 miles if you can!
I'm the type to try figuring it out on my own before I bring my cars in for work but this one has me stumped. I had a plugged up Cat and had it replaced at the muffler shop about a month ago. The car felt like I was towing something! It ran real good for about a week and then on my way home one day my Strat decided to cut off in the middle lane of a busy road. I threw it in nuetral and it fired right back up. No CEL and no warning before. I thought it may be bad gas as the car sat quite awhile before the Cat replacement. A couple of days later after a normal drive to work it stuttered real bad once but didn't shut down about 20 minutes into my drive. Again, no CEL or warning beforehand. Later that day I went out on a short ride, about 5 minutes or so. Shut off car and ran into store. Came out and car won't start. Acted like no fire or spark. Tried for a good 10 minutes and she finally started up but popped and sputtered real bad. I had to keep the gas to it for a good 3 or 4 minutes before it would stay running. It cut off on me a couple of times on the ride back but managed to get it restarted and back to work. Later that evening it started right up for the ride home ( that was a nerve racking ride!) and i finally got a check engine light 20 minutes, 15 miles into my ride home. Plugged it up to my scanner and got a PO420 code. Went to Autozone and picked up 2 O2's and installed. Ran great for a couple of days and now throws a code every couple of days, usually 20 minutes into my ride. I only get the p0420 code. Today ran out again, about 10 minute ride, shut it off for 10 minutes, got back in and took off and it shut off again at a stop light, no warning, about 7 minutes into my ride. It fired right back up and made it back to work. I disconnected the battery as well as used the scanner to make sure I had the code cleared before leaving to come home. On the ride home it shuddered real bad on the highway once, about 20 minutes into the ride, no CEL and made it home fine. It seem like it acts up on short rides after a short ride or about 20 minute into a drive. Anybody have any ideas before I break down and take it to a Dodge dealer??

Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

My first guess would be the Dist pick up or the ASD relay. A cat converter would not just cut off on driving or idling.

Quick Reply: 98 Strat Cat and O2 Problems