Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2002 Dodge Stratus ES 2.4L - Code P0432

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
blobula
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Stratus ES 2.7L - Code P0432

Hello,

About a month ago my check engine light came on and the following code was read - P0432 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2).

I had the codes reset and then ran some fuel system cleaner through for one full tank of gas. It stayed off for a couple weeks and then came back on a few days ago with the same code.

I really don't want to take it and have a diagnostic ran just yet, so was wondering if there are things that I can do on my own, or cheaper fixes I can do to start with to correct this problem.

The car is running fine. I don't hear any noises.

I have seen that some replace the oxygen sensors. Should I start with that? Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by blobula; 02-23-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would replace both upsteam and downsteam o2 sensors. But you could still have problem with the cat.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
blobula
Amateur

The subject is wrong:

Edit: I have an 02 Dodge Stratus ES 2.7L V6.

Would replacing the bank 2 Catalytic converter on my own be something I can do with a service manual, or is this a repair that a professional should make?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 PM
blobula
Amateur

In addition would the catalytic converter on my vehicle with 90K miles on it still be covered under a federal emissions warranty?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blobula
I have seen that some replace the oxygen sensors. Should I start with that?
NO
ur problem is most likely to be the Cat. 90k, it is about right for it is go out. And i think Oxygen sensor are like $100 each.

Would replacing the bank 2 Catalytic converter on my own be something I can do with a service manual, or is this a repair that a professional should make?
NO
Exhaust are usually the worst rusted out area of the car, fight against Mother nature takes a lot more than just a Service manual.

In addition would the catalytic converter on my vehicle with 90K miles on it still be covered under a federal emissions warranty?
And NO
Federal emission waranty is 8yr/80k, or 8yr/100k in some state. It seems like u expired by date and mileage.

I would say do it at a Muffler shop, they do these type everyday, they should be able to get it done cheap and fast.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Stratus ES 2.4L - Code P0432