Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 Stratus 2.4L engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 PM
robbykohler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Stratus 2.4L engine problem

I purchased a 2000 Dodge Stratus SE with a 2.4L. 153,000 miles. Previous owner just put new tires and had transmission rebuilt. Problem it had was that it died at a stop light and they couldn't get it started. When you turn the key, the engine sounded like it wanted to turn over, but the battery might have been drained...although everything electrical worked just fine. I bought a new battery and installed it. Same thing. I removed the spark plugs and it turned over much faster, but didn't seem to sound right. Any suggestions as to where to start first? I suspected a broke timing belt, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:08 PM
robbykohler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update: 2000 strauts engine problem

I checked compression this morning. seemed ok. reinstalled spark plugs and got it to start. it rattled a little and smoked a little. has been sitting for 8 months. ran for about 15 seconds, not smoothly, then died. now it won't turn over at all. any suggestions? BTW, the alternator and A/C belt is off so I know it's not the compressor locked up.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I sent you a pm a while ago today, If the starter is not turning engine over. Check the fuse for th asd relay.

Quick Reply: 2000 Stratus 2.4L engine problem