Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM
snail71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine HELP!!

I have a 2006 Dodge Stratus with a 2.7L V6. The oil light came on, the engine started running rough, and then promptly quit. After this the engine would not turn over. I purchased a low mileage salvage engine (50K) and installed it over the past weekend. After installing it the replaced engine won't turn over. I removed the starter and it spins when you try to start it. I put the starter back in and it attempts to turn the engine over but it doesn't turn it over. It is almost like the replaced engine is frozen up. Any ideas?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Did you try turning engine over by head with a socket? My first guess would the torque converter maybe jamed on the flex plate.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
snail71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Did you try turning engine over by head with a socket? My first guess would the torque converter maybe jamed on the flex plate.
Last night I loosened up the engine / tranny bolts and attempted to turn it over. With these bolts loose the engine will turn over. I then began to tighten them and it eventually got to where it wouldn't turn over again. It sounds like you may be correct about it being jammed against the flex plate. How can I get to aligned properly? Will I have to pull the engine to do it?

Quick Reply: Engine HELP!!