Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Haunted 2000 Stratus 2.4L

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Pre-Electrical
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a list of what I've already taken care of:

Brake Sensor Replaced (Napa Part)
Transmision flush and service (Dealer)
Mass Air Floor Sensor replaced (Napa Part)
Oil Pressure Sensor replaced (Dealer Part)
Throttle body de-gunked. (Dealer)
Valve Cover Gaskets replaced (Dealer Part)
PCV Hose Replaced (Dealer Part)
New Spark Plugs (Napa Part)
Spark Plug Wires (Napa Part)
Ignition Coil replaced (Napa Part)

Again I appreciate whatever advice you would have.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM
delta448

Pull and compare the plug in cylinder 1 to any of the others. Do you see anything different about it?

Take a look around for any vacuum leaks. Spray a little carb cleaner on the intake mani and vac lines and listen for any changes in idle speed. Then check the exhaust. Look for a clogged cat, pinched exhaust pipe and/or an internally collapsed flex section. Got any seafoam? Let the engine sip it a little at idle and see if you have any exhaust leaks. If all else checks out, I'd replace the fuel filter, especially after using fuel injector cleaner as much as you have.

Without a CEL, you probably don't have a sensor issue, so I'd be looking at everything else that affects fueling and engine VE outside of the ECU's control, or causes an ECU misinterpretation of a sensor output.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Pre-Electrical

I've sprayed the whole motor compartment with started fluid and didn't get a reaction by the vehicle.

I do have an exhaust leak (noticed when I replaced the Valve Cover Gasket and Plugs) on the back of the motor). How would that cause my problems? The issues are intermittent and only present themselves probably every 5-6th time I drive the car.

I believe there are 2 fuel filters, one in the tank and the other just outside of it, if I dive into the tank I might as well replace the fuel pump as well.

I'm trying to use Google to find out how to identify a collapsed flex connection without removing the exhaust, any ideas?

Thanks for your time. My wife and I really enjoy this car, it fits us well, gets 31 mpg on highway, and has good low end power (for a stock car).

Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
delta448

I do have an exhaust leak (noticed when I replaced the Valve Cover Gasket and Plugs) on the back of the motor). How would that cause my problems? The issues are intermittent and only present themselves probably every 5-6th time I drive the car.
If it's an intermittent issue the leak must not be too bad yet. An exhaust leak can affect the O2 sensor, generally it causes the sensor to read leaner than actual. That in turn drives the ECU fuel trims to add fuel and run the engine overly rich. But if it truly is only every 5-6 times, then that's obviously not the issue. Being that intermittent, I would suspect a wiring problem, particularly in the mass airflow sensor harness or an injector clip, but both of those should set a readable DTC.

I believe there are 2 fuel filters, one in the tank and the other just outside of it, if I dive into the tank I might as well replace the fuel pump as well.
I honestly don't know, my Stratus is my daily and I just try to fix what fails and keep up with maintenance on this car. I think two filters is absurdly redundant, but who knows. You sure one's not just the sock on the pump pickup?

I'm trying to use Google to find out how to identify a collapsed flex connection without removing the exhaust, any ideas?
You won't find a way to do it without pulling part of the exhaust.

Thanks for your time. My wife and I really enjoy this car, it fits us well, gets 31 mpg on highway, and has good low end power (for a stock car).
Really? I never get over 25mpg combined in mine and the car is an absolute dog climbing up the hills around here with more than 1 passenger. I've always thought this engine really should have had a turbocharger from the factory. IMO, the Neon SRT4 engine as an option would have been about right on for this platform.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Pre-Electrical

The Car died on me in Seattle traffic 3 times last week, I had 2 codes come up. P0106 and P0122. Both Codes have one thing in common, the PCM. I had a garage test all of the electrical and to the best of their knowledge all of the sensors and wiring appear to be fine.

I'll let you know if this works, I should have the aftermarket product ($500 cheaper than Dealer) by Tuesday 6/19.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Christine was a movie about a killer car, Which was a Mopar product.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Pre-Electrical
Default Problem Solved

All, i want you to know how this ended. I purchased a refurbished computer from an online source (can't remember where) and my problems are solved. It has been more than 7 months and not a single problem.

Thanks for your help. Hope this helps you in the future.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Pre-Electrical

Just to close the conversation... I purchased a refurbished computer and the car has run fine since.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 AM
ndtguy
Rookie

Good to know! Sorry to hear it was a hair pulling experience until then.

Quick Reply: Haunted 2000 Stratus 2.4L