Black Truck Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this posted earlier and was wondering what shooting "raw" means in terms of taking pics? I don't really know much about photography beyond point and shoot.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:50 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I saw this posted earlier and was wondering what shooting "raw" means in terms of taking pics? I don't really know much about photography beyond point and shoot.
Sounds like another club. The I dunno shlt about camaras club, I'll be member # 2 ha ha lol.
on another note I vht'd my headlamps , they look close too the paint color so I left them alone, now I'm wondering if I should paint and clear coat. them. Any thoughts?/

Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. days without a post?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

I been really busy the past week or so and have only really checked the forum no posts and now I get this effin cold that's going around blah but all on the good side I picked up a ported polishes tb and a new pet or shall I say buddy a peach fronted conure who gets upset if he's not with me as a matter of fact he's on my shoulder now.....

Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Is anyone interested in a Black Truck of the Quarter? It is time for the third one but really, this thread is pretty dead as of late. I was thinking that since most of us have moved on that maybe we should do it in our new hangout. Thoughts?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:58 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

its all dead but im down teach

Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

teacher.. shooting RAW is a format some cameras can do.

i pulled this from a online thingy real quick
When a digital camera makes an exposure the imaging chip (whether it's CCD or CMOS) records the amount of light that has hit each pixel, or photo site. This is recorded as a voltage level. The camera's analog to digital circuitry now changes this analog voltage signal into a digital representation. Depending on the camera's circuitry either 12 or 14 bits of data are recorded. Incidentally, if the camera records 12 bits of data then each pixel can handle 4,096 brightness levels (2^12), and if 14 bit then it can record 16,384 different brightness levels (2^14). (To my knowledge no current imaging chip records a true 16 bits worth of data).
Of course what happens after you've taken the photograph depends on whether you have the camera set to save images to the memory card as raw files or JPGs.
If you've saved the file in raw mode when it is subsequently loaded into a raw conversion program and then saved to a TIFF or .PSD format file it can be exported in 16 bit mode. The 12 or 14 bits recorded by the camera are then spread over the full 16 bit workspace. If you've saved the file in-camera as a JPG than it is converted by the camera's software to 8 bit mode and you will only ever have 256 brightness levels to work with.
so basically shooting raw keeps more on the photo information (brights/darks) so you can manipulate it later... thats why some JPG files are just 1MB in size and my RAW files are over 27MB... in fact the photo see below in my signature, if made in correct size in real life, would be over 7 feet wide and the file for that ONE photo is over 110mb.... when zoomed in you can damn see ants walking around lol

there are literally hundreds of books hundreds of pages long explaining why to do this and what can be done with it. but i feel the most important reason for shooting RAW is the white balance control

lets say you have a white car... its 5am, the sun is just coming up. your white car looks colder.. there is a hint of blue.

now at noon with the sun up high your car seems bright white...

what about sunset?.. now that car has a orange feel to it.. the shot is warmer

cloudy days? ..changed the color you see also...

its all the same car... the paint hasnt changed... but your photo has.

here is a sample of the same pic with different white balances

in this shot you can go from sunrise to sunset with the same shot.. without looking too fake

the first shot is as is.. thats how it looked when i shot it.. before the sun came up... but with a tweak in the white balance i can make it look like noon or even sunset.

had you tried to take this shot at noon you would have had an ugly shadow, reflections and usually colors get washed out.

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-09-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

im up for it but oh wait i won the last one....thats right ....

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

ha rub it in jay

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

doc thats amazing, but what the hell were ants doing up that early

Quick Reply: Black Truck Club