Black Truck Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
donjohnk
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
That is a good point, the guy in the vid does use a big sheet on just one light. Maybe I better get two just in case. And thanks for the info about the soap in the water. If you got any other tips post them up. I have never worked with vinyl before so I could use and tips you have.
Oh before you start or have started, I was reminded that when you add ur soap to the water use only a small portion. A cap full of soap and liter of water is plenty. if you dont have a squeege you can use something harder(plastic putty knife) but make sure you cover it with durable shop paper towel(softer the better) pressure is key. just dont scratch the vinyl.

if your having trouble with fingers popping up around corners or bends, use light amounts of heat and press them out with ur finger. you can spray it with water so its slick but just make sure you arent scratching it when pressing on it.

Another thing too is to try and keep area dust free/hair free. Nothing pisses me off more when i am done doing a vinyl job or tinting job seeing specs of dust or fibers/hairs in your stuff. if its a garage spray the floors down or just try not to stir up the area.

Now when your all done or thing your done just look over the vinyl or tint and see where you may be able to shrink out some bubbles. knowbody's perfect they will be there. small ones can and mostly will disapear with time(drying) if you have larger bubbles keep popping up and pressing them out isnt helping trying to re-wet and add heat. sometimes you can see the bubbles(fingers) shrivel up when your hitting them with heat. Stop and lightly press them out. carefull not the press to hard and fold the tint/vinyl. hopefully this helps or gives ya an idea. I am better showing than trying to type it/ explain it. Im more of a hands on learner/teacher. My buddy has a site where he gives a step by step on how to do body graphics and there might be some info in there for you if ya need it. Other than doing full graphics the process is pretty much the same.

prostreetgraphics.com
http://www.prostreetgraphics.com/bgi...ginstruct.html

Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a lot of good info, I appreciate you posting all of that up. I am probably going to order the tails this weekend so hopefully I will have them by next week to try tinting them.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

well im back my pc is home and workin as far as i can tell just picked it up an hour or so ago and no i didnt ever order that stuff i bought a new axle for my quad which i broke in january and have been dying to ride so.... ill have to wait till next week to order some but def. going too.....yes that was some good info to use thank you don....

Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

OK, I just looked at the tint/vinyl my buddy has.... That's some thick stuff... For those trying to do your tails and head lights good luck. I am gonna give it a try tommarrow. Plus de-badgeing the truck too... Ill try and post finished pics.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

How thick is thick for tint? I ordered some tails yesterday and 2.5mil vinyl to try tinting them with.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 AM
donjohnk
Veteran

Its a vinyl, im sry for any confusion, looks like tint to me except the thickness part. Its a major difference than tint. acually its thicker than most vinyl I've used but very sticky. I just see problems with trying to fit it to our tails. Way to curvey, Its gonna take alot a time a patience... ill let ya know tomarrow how it goes... Has anyone else used vinyl on their tailights?.. Im gonna post in 3rd gen section and see if any1 else has done it..

Old 04-05-2009, 02:03 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

well from the vids and what ive heard its not that hard to do unfortunatly yall are gonna get to this b4 me my computer is not fixed they sent it back still doing same stuff so i gotta send it back again so ill order this stuff this coming weekend still even if i gotta go to dads to do it....tell me happens tho i wanna see pics ill keep looking at the site

Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

well i wasnt able to work on the tail lights today... Its took longer than I thought to de-badge my truck.... My god the tape they got on our emblems is crazy sticky.. Plus after I got them off I had to buff and wax my shoulders off to get rid of the lines where the badges were... I'm still not done yet. I gotta re-wash and wax the hole truck now.. I got a few swirls on her now... Man this winter was rough on my truck.

heres some pics

before

after

I also changed out my antena... it's powder coated black...

Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Looks much better debadged. I did mine this week and I like it much better without the badges. Where did you get that stubby antena, it looks way better than the stock one.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:23 PM
donjohnk
Veteran

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Where did you get that stubby antena, it looks way better than the stock one.
My buddy sells them on his custom grand am website and he wanted to see if they would fit the ram... He has a kit to make it fit perfectly.. I told him I would point people his way if they wanted them.... If you would like them pm me and ill give ya the link.. I dont wanna post it on this site due to the fact I dont wanna **** off any admins. I think he's selling them for around $30. all sorts of colors too.

Quick Reply: Black Truck Club