General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mechanic gave up

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 01:57 PM
USAFJOE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanic gave up

I posted my problem on Ram 2nd Gen with no responses. Any help would be appreciated.
My 01 Ram 1500 5.9L starting chugging and missing while driving engine light came on too.
I had wires, cap, plugs, seafoam, with no change. Had OBD done with bad #3 injector code, so
replaced it, no change. Ran OBD again now saying misfire on #1 cylinder. Checked #1 injector, spark
and plug all good. The local mechanic gives up and Im at a loss. Thinking maybe plugged fuel rail but
tired of guessing and losing $$$.
Any help???

Old 05-08-2005, 11:20 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mechanic gave up

They had problems with the plenum gaskets on those trucks, but I don't know if that would cause your problems. Both the 1 nad 3 cylinders are on the same side so maybe it is. Troubleshooting over the interent sux.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

did the mechanic just use a handhled obdII scanner or did he hook it up to a diagnostic machine. sometimes the hand helds will not go into the same depth. like todd said i would have them check the plenum gasket this is not that hard to check.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:59 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

Before you pull the top end apart, pull the O2 sensor wire & see if it throws a code.

I know this is an older car, but the wire to the O2 sensor burnt off & it started acting exactly like you describe. But it wouldn't throw a code. Changed the O2 sensor & fixed the problem.

Try that first before you pull it apart. Easy & inexpensive test.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
greenmachine
All Star

My '99 Ram did the same sort of thing. I had an exhaust leak before the 1st o2 sensor. I could not hear the leak it was that small. Fixed it and fixed my problem.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:49 PM
hicap

Make sure your crank sensor wires did not get damaged or unplugged. An O2 sensor will throw a code. I had one in the shop about 3 months ago doing a very similar thing. It wouldnt run in reverse either till it warmed up. If it is the sensor they are a bear to change. Have a competent shop check out the sensor for you and you change it.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 PM
MarkBall
Rookie

Hmmmm, I had a similar thing happen on my '01 Quad Cab. Ran fine at idle, started easy, no codes, just a intermittent miss at speed.

So, at 80,000 miles I figured it needed a tune up. Found out the coil wire had burnt in two under the coil bonnet. I was running the wiring & tugging slightly on the coil wire & it just kept giving...............til I had the end of it in my hand.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Finished the tune up (including a broken rib) and the truck runs like a top now.

Check the inexpensive things first.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:50 PM
JCswm
Veteran

ORIGINAL: USAFJOE

I posted my problem on Ram 2nd Gen with no responses. Any help would be appreciated.
My 01 Ram 1500 5.9L starting chugging and missing while driving engine light came on too.
I had wires, cap, plugs, seafoam, with no change. Had OBD done with bad #3 injector code, so
replaced it, no change. Ran OBD again now saying misfire on #1 cylinder. Checked #1 injector, spark
and plug all good. The local mechanic gives up and Im at a loss. Thinking maybe plugged fuel rail but
tired of guessing and losing $$$.
Any help???
I know this sounds odd but has your odometer ever read "NO BUSS" ??? next time it runs like that look at your odometer

Quick Reply: mechanic gave up