General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Caravan engine ticking/knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 PM
erik2282
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan engine ticking/knocking

My dad owns a 96 dodge caravan with the v6 3.0 in it, with 165,000 miles on it. We've only had it for about 6 months. It looks like the engine was replaced because of the scratches on the side of the engine bay, but have no idea when..... Anyway, what the engine does is that it ticks/knocks when the engine is running. It gets a bit louder and faster as the engine rpm is raised. I have engine repair book, and it says it could be the lifters or springs. It also talks about adjusting the valve clearance, could this be the problem? Are they even adjustable? I need help with this, I want to fix the problem before it gets worse. If any1 can please help with advice, suggestions, or comments, it would be really, greatly appreciated. Thanks a hundred times.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: [&:]

A better title to your post might get some more attention.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 PM
erik2282
Default RE: 96 Caravan engine ticking/knocking

???

Old 08-03-2005, 09:09 PM
faustburger

It might be several things....
Worst case would be crankshaft bearings,if it keeps heavy knocking and follows your RPM...Has all oil changes done accordingly?
Second thing could be knock sensor if you have one...
Faulty lifter on valve assembly mighty also be the reason..
Have you checked oil level...
Ticking... not so bad as knocking...maybe something with valves and lifters...
How about other stuff around engine.Alternator or pumps+bearings on those.
Have you tried tro locate the source for that sound?Is it coming from block or some other place.
Many things on motor runs with belts and thou vary by engine RPM...

Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

a ticking sound would point me towards the lifter valve train erea. depending on how the engine was maintained it could be as simple as a sticking lifter. you could try a something like an enigine flush followed by an oil change.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 AM
erik2282

i did 4 oil changes on it in 3 weeks trying to "clean out" the engine, and even used the Lucas stuff but it did not help. I got a guy to listen to it and he said the same thing about the valve lifters. but he doesnt know how to fix it, he was a young guy just learning mechanics at a small shop.... So if it is the lifters sticking, what kinda engine flush would you guys recommend I use? also, What weight of oil do you guys recommend? I've been using Pennzoil 10w-40. Is that ok? Are there any other tips to quiet those darn things down? thanks a lot guys for your replies. I really appreciate the help.

erik

Old 08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

try a flush like auto rx. or even a cheaper motor flush, follow the directions on the bottle. i would try switching back to eith a 530 or 1030 imo 1040 is a little heavy for your 3.0 and may be cause some of you problem. the lifters may be getting lubrication but the oil is not getting in where it needs. i've heard of people using marvel mystery oil to help out.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 AM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

Whe was the last Full tune up?

Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Toecutter

ORIGINAL: thump186

try a flush like auto rx. or even a cheaper motor flush, follow the directions on the bottle. i would try switching back to eith a 530 or 1030 imo 1040 is a little heavy for your 3.0 and may be cause some of you problem. the lifters may be getting lubrication but the oil is not getting in where it needs. i've heard of people using marvel mystery oil to help out.

A couple of things RE: Oil pressure ticking knocking....

back in the day of hanging around my next door neighbors garage when I was a tadpole. He would pour some trans fluid into the motor and run it before dumping the old oil out...Says it cleaned the engine, then did the oil change, after that he would put Marvel Mystery Oil into it. Now know that this was a 66 Chevell but the Idea is still the same. If anyone (In this forum) doesnt aggree with this please say so.Dont want to ruin any engines. Also I know that the new toyota's new pick-ups (V-8's) DO NOT like the thicker oils 10-30,40 and so on. My buds at a general store have one they use for deliveries and so on when they did an oil chng and put 10-30 in it it freaked out they then put 5-30 back in and the oil gauge and all the other probs went away.

hope some of this story helps.

PS. wouldnt hurt to get a long screw driver or a engine stethiscope and listen for the 'ticking/knocking' sound. You'll be supprised at how you can 'pin-point' the problem.

Mike

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan engine ticking/knocking