General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Magnum 360 Defect??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:11 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 360 Defect??

General question here. Does anyone know for sure if Dodge is aware of a problem in the 360 Magnum series engine and refuses to do anything about it?

This is in regards to the cylinder heads on a 98 Magnum 360. I recently tore down the top end of my engine due to a dead cylinder and found that the cylinder heads were cracked between each of the Intake and Exhaust valves. I talked to several machine shops who stated that this is a common problem with this series of engine and that the cracks are not reparable.

I also called several wrecking yards (Twin Falls ID and in Salt Lake City UT) and was also told that most of the used heads that come off these engines have cracks and are not salvagable.

Finally, my mechanic remembered when he replaced several of these engines over the past few years, that when he received crate engines from Dodge, the block was a remanufactured unit, but the heads were new. This tells me that Mopar knows about the problem, but isn't doing anything about it.

Has anyone heard of anything in this regard? The replacement cost for aftermarket OEM replacement heads was $900, not to mention my time in doing the work.

Any pertinent information would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12623/FF6EA8F39AE94CC2B7835625BFFC79E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2005, 02:25 AM
tenntech
Professional
Default RE: Magnum 360 Defect??

Cracked heads on these engines are common and can sometimes be repaired depending on the location and size of the crack. Dodge was offering reman. heads, but they have had even more problems with repaired heads. I'm sure they are aware of any problems, but there is not really anything they can do about it now.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:05 AM
injmopar
Veteran

buying some old rare cast that has been repaired is touchy.But I would't give them a dime for repaired crappy cast heads.A good set of heads that have been welded have a chance of cracking. Maybe time for a custom build.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem is that the 360 motor runs to hot. You need to run a 180 degree thermostat. Remember this is the same motor dodge has been running for probably 30 years. Only 20 percent of these heads are reparable. If you want them to last longer you need to put in a 180 degree thermostat period!

Old 09-24-2005, 08:35 PM
magnum mike
Rookie

how hot due they run stock, cant be much higher?

Old 09-24-2005, 09:32 PM
vestpuzzle1
Professional

They can run a bit over 200, but that is'nt good for very long. hydrashocker is right you need that 180 thermostat. and it would'nt hurt to change your cap(pressure release) periodicaly either.
You would be surprised what kind of trouble an old radiator cap can cause. R.V.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 AM
injmopar
Veteran

People buy the 360 to load them up and work them.More load more combustion temputure.The only thing that cools the exhaust valve is the vavle seat.If there is not enough mass to sink the heat into the thinnest part is just going to get hotter and hotter.The thinnest part is between the seats.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:04 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I went ahead and purchased some aftermarket OEM replacement heads early this month. To the tune of $900. The explanation given was that the actual OEM heads were junk and for the most part could not be reliably repaired. Since I don't like doing this kind of major repair, nor the cost, I figured a redesigned aftermarket cast head set would be best. I am, and have been, running a 170-180 thermostat in this engine for several years and I'm pretty neurotic about watching my gauges. To the best of my knowledge, I have never heated the engine past the midpoint on the temp gauge. Its come close a couple of times, usualy during the summer in Vegas, but never gone over. Hopefully, these heads will take care of the problems. So far, the truck is running much better than when I bought it in 2001, although my mileage has gone down a little. Suspect a vacuum problem, but haven't found out for sure yet.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12623/C23D1DF8FDD5424A94F787B6B7BFF8B1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2005, 12:39 AM
richardmoore
Professional

I've been wanting to get a 180 degree thermostat also, where can you buy one?

Old 09-30-2005, 03:08 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Any auto parts store should have a variety of temperature ranges available. I know that I had, and also now have, a 180 in there. The temp gauge, when the engine is running correctly, never comes close to the center of the gauge.

Quick Reply: Magnum 360 Defect??