General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
ramman99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap

I have the chance to get a V-10 and (auto) trans from a wrecked Ram (4WD) and I need to know if:

a. the computer will plug into my harness and work if the sensor wiring is hooked up properly.

b. My existing (V-8) tach will work, or will I need to change it out?

c. The weight difference between this engine and a 360 is significant, or can I go heavier front springs (snowplow?) to compensate.

The rest of the mechanicals I can figure out (radiator, engine mounts, drive shafts, exhaust, fuel lines, etc.).

Old 09-12-2006, 04:20 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine swap

What year is the V10 from? That will determine the answers to a lot of your questions.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 AM
tenntech
Professional

Wiring and pcm will have to be changed.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:06 AM
ramman99

It's a '99 just like mine. I know the computer will have to be changed, but will the wiring harness in my truck work with the V-10 computer, or will I have to change that out too?

Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 AM
tenntech
Professional

The wiring harness will be different, you'll have two more injector plugs with a v10 and probably need more length on the harness. Some sensor connectors plugs will also be different. If this is going to be a daily driver, I doubt you'll be satisfied with the swap. That engine drinks the gas and isn't all that impressive.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:59 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: tenntech
The wiring harness will be different, you'll have two more injector plugs with a v10 and probably need more length on the harness. Some sensor connectors plugs will also be different. If this is going to be a daily driver, I doubt you'll be satisfied with the swap. That engine drinks the gas and isn't all that impressive.
I disagree. I get just as good of mileage as the V8 guys with my V10, and the power is VERY impressive

You'll need a different ENGINE wiring harness, but your cab wiring harness will not need to be changed.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:03 PM
ramman99

Ah, yes. That's right, I forgot about the two extra cylinders. [sm=bangbang.gif]

The engine wiring will definitely need changing. My reason for doing this is the fact that I want to tow a boat and want more torque for when I'm on hills or coming up the boat ramp after loading. [sm=burnout.gif]

I'm afraid the 360 just won't have it and don't want to embarass myself by not being able to get out of 'the hole'.

Thanks for the help so far...[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 09-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ramman99

Ah, yes. That's right, I forgot about the two extra cylinders. [sm=bangbang.gif]

The engine wiring will definitely need changing. My reason for doing this is the fact that I want to tow a boat and want more torque for when I'm on hills or coming up the boat ramp after loading. [sm=burnout.gif]

I'm afraid the 360 just won't have it and don't want to embarass myself by not being able to get out of 'the hole'.

Thanks for the help so far...[sm=thanx.gif]
Forgot about the 2 extra cylinders HAHA! That's the whole idea behind the swap LOL [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]. No but seriously how big is this boat? The 360's are very capable engines though but I don't blame you for wanting to go bigger [sm=burnout.gif][sm=gears.gif].

Old 09-15-2006, 11:05 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I agree...how big is the boat? The 360 can do a pretty good job of pulling most out of the water, provided you have 4wd for traction

The V10 is a LOT of fun to drive though [8D]

Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 AM
ramman99

The boat is a 27 footer (with two, count 'em, two, 454 Chevy engines). Even tho' the weight comes in under the towing capacity for my truck, I always say you can't have too much torque.[sm=gears.gif]

Yes, I am counting on my 4WD to help pull up out of the boat ramp.[sm=wootwoot.gif]

Quick Reply: Engine swap