Interior Modifications What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Painting the interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the interior?

Ok, So, I was thinking about painting the dash and door pannels (more or less hilighting a few places to break up the charcoal grey) what kind of paint should I use? and should I even do it?

any recomendations on how to do it? (products to use and instructions to follow)

Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Default RE: Painting the interior?

Anybody have any input?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

bump

Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

Hello? Damn, not much help on this subject

Old 05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

Some help you guys are XD

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not recomend it ... It's very hard to be done right and then it will scuff or flake off easily ...
If you really must then first is prep work ...I'm assuming it is hard plastic ...
first scrub with formula 409 and a toothbrush scrub entire area to be painted ... scrub it several times , then take 3M adhesive remover and wipe down the entire area ... I recomend roughing up the surface with a scotchbrite pad, then wipe it down again with the 3M adhesive remover ...
Next use some 3M adhesion promoter it's in towelette form wipe the area down per instructions ....
next mask off areas you don't want to paint then spray on primer , use very light misting coats let dry between coats ...
Ok for paint you can use SEMvinyl dye , or krylon fusion , I've even used rattle can exterior paint ...again light coats dry between you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to help dry between coats ... After that certain ones paints can be clearcoated ...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

Yeah I was thining about painting my interrior on my 2006 Dodge Dakota Club Cab... I want to paint everything on it... well all the vinyl... I don't really know how to do it... so any help would be appreciated...

Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
AirWolf

I did my inside all 6 pillers red and a little red here and there you can use fusion paint at autozone or paint at walmart or any homeimprovement store.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: AirWolf

I did my inside all 6 pillers red and a little red here and there you can use fusion paint at autozone or paint at walmart or any homeimprovement store.
Well the interior on my Dakota is Vinyl but its textured vinyl... do I still sand... I mean... its not supposed to be smooth, also the lighter inserts in the center of the door where the plastic panels (for thewindow controls)snap into is also vinyl... I believe... but its a softer vinyl... almost squishy like theres foam underneath it... any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Strykker
Professional

You don't have to sand the pieces, more important to remove all dirt and oils from surface. Dupli-Color makes excellent paint for this and you can purchase adhesion promoter in a spray form as well for better coverage than with towellettes. Custom shops do it all the time and it just a matter of patience and prep before painting.

ORIGINAL: curtiplas

ORIGINAL: AirWolf

Well the interior on my Dakota is Vinyl but its textured vinyl... do I still sand... I mean... its not supposed to be smooth, also the lighter inserts in the center of the door where the plastic panels (for thewindow controls)snap into is also vinyl... I believe... but its a softer vinyl... almost squishy like theres foam underneath it... any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Painting the interior?