Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Oil Pressure Guage(aftermarket) install HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
04srt4lvr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Guage(aftermarket) install HELP

I have spoken to local mechanic and he said that the oil pressure sending unit is locaed on the back of the engine very hard to get to. is that true ? and has anybody installed an after market oil pressure gauge. HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP

Old 12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion
Default RE: Oil Pressure Guage(aftermarket) install HELP

Oil psi.

Also simple.

Underneath the car on the oil pan there is a plug with a alen key head. You will end up removing this plug for the new presser sensor. Autometer includes the threaded plug that will fit that hole and acomidate the sensor. However to to space restrictions you will have to use a little enginuity and a trip to ACE hardwheres plumbing section. you will need two 1/8" threaded pipe conectors (the little brass ones), one 1/8" threaded sleeve (to ajoin the two 1/8" threaded pipe connectors) and one 90 degree 1/8" fitting, and teflon tape. All in all this will cost about $5.00. This will allow you to place the pressure sender in the little pocket inbeteween the oil pan and the oil cooler. It will have to be placed on a slight angle so it dosen't hit the pass driveshaft, but trust me, it fits.

The electrical on this one is a bit different. You will have I believe 5 wires (I cant exactly remember)

1. Gauge power
2. Gauge groung
3. Light power
4. Light ground
5. Seneor wire

The gauge power gose to your switched ignition b+ (just like the AEM.) Both grounds can go to the metel by the steering colum. Now heres the trick, if you don't want to look for the switched power for the lights (for the light o the gauge) you can just solder it to the gauge b+ wire, then solder that wire to the switched ignition b+. This however will turn the gauge light on whenever the ignition's on. Some people prefer that some dont.
The sensor wire just gets ran down to the sensor and screwed onto the top.

To get them to light up when you turn your headlights on:

The easiest way, is to tap into the power wire that lights up your stock boost guage, only when the headlights come on!

Old 12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

That was posted on SRTForums....if its not clear or anything I'll find you another one But it worked for the person it was posted for.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Its on the back of the block, I had to get at mine from underneath the car. You're going to need an oil sensor socket to get the stock sensor out. I did at least, can find them at autozone for like 6 bucks i think. I got my stock sensor out only to find out that I didn't have the right adaptor to put the new oil pressure sender in. I got all the electrical wiring done. Just need to hook some sensors up and I'll be good to go once I get a few parts I'm set.

Heres a pic of my guages lit up at night.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1628/9F94B4363E7F4144889A77179B272EFB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Those don't bother you when driving NeonSXt??? I would think they would be irriating. I could be wrong I've never had an A=pillar pod. Glad you got yours working though [8D]

Old 12-14-2004, 10:57 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Nope. They don't bother me at all. I can dim them if I want. I got the lights hooked up so they dim too!

Old 12-14-2004, 11:02 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

OH and how is the SRT's boost guage mounted? I know where it sits...I'm just curious how it is mounted over there. Does it have a pod? I was thinking once I get my turbo setup in order I'd put my boost guage on my steering column.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:24 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Theres a small cyilnder like plastic thing, screwed underneath the top piece of the dash itself that the gauge sits in. To get to it you need to take off the A-pillars, the top piece of the dash, then take off the cylinder and release the gauge.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to have your gauge lights to work with the dash lights and dim with them, just plug the positive light wire into the fuse that controls the interior lights, they are located in the side of the dash on the drivers side behind the pop off cover. That's how I wired it up in my '99 R/T.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:49 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Thats not how I did it...but my guage lights dim with my dash lights.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Guage(aftermarket) install HELP