Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 01:49 AM
bellosiciliano18
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plugs

wait i think i found where i can get thesse "ngk" spark plugs... what what ezactally do they do... and are they only $6.00? because i also see a price of "$29.99 set of 4" on modernoerformance.com... im guessin you need the set of 4 lol
And also i was thinking of gettin the "MSD Ignition Coil" since im most likely gonna get the ngk spark plugs, but what is the "MPx Heat shield" do i really need this or no??? thanks for the help....

Old 02-13-2005, 04:41 AM
BigMac
Professional

The heat shield protects the plug wires from the heat of the turbo. The #4 wire on the 03s had a problem with getting baked.

NGK is just another brand of plugs, but one which has proven superior in many applications. I've used nothing but NGKs, regardless of vehicle, for many years now.

I am curious, though -- are the NGKs for the SRT-4 that expensive everywhere? The last set I bought, for my 99, cost $6 for all four!

Old 02-13-2005, 06:01 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

the ngk's are about $2.xx a piece, so about $8-9 or so for the set at sparkplugs.com. modern is on crack with what they charge for them. call and order them, it's ngk 4306. where did you see $6?

don't bother getting a msd coil, the stock one is very good and actually has proven itself superior to aftermarket ones. it's just a waste of money. you should however get a set of MSD wires.

a coild pack heat shield is a good thing to have. it protects the coil and wires from the heat from the turbo. this helps stop the premature wear that they are prone to due to the excessive heat.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MSD coil has the exact same output as the stock coil, I only have the MSD coil on mine because I had it on my '99 R/T and transfered it over before I sold the R/T. The MSD coil is better constructed and higher quality, but it still only has the stock coils output.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:21 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

I have never heard of the spark blow out... the spark is electrically produced via the coil... the compression does effect the ability of the plug to ignite, but if you have a problem with "blow out" then you are using the incorrect spark plug for the application, and I mean you are "WAY OFF"... usually you'll just develop a pre-ignition event which requires a change in the heat range of the spark plug. If you are having "blow out" that is not really the plugs fault, but more of a problem with there not being enough voltage to supply the load needed (this can occur under WOT as well as some other cases). If you guys are more interested, I have books and such on this topic... improper gapping can always attribute to this event... but I don't think it's due to the forced compression... I'll have to do some more reading...

Old 02-13-2005, 09:14 PM
bellosiciliano18
Professional

alright thanks for the help guys... im gonna look into those spark plugs as soon as i get a chance... but i was woundering you can change to "MSD wires" and not get the msd coil since the stock one is the same as the aftermarket right? so where can i get just the MSD wires??? same place for the spark plugs, (sparkplugs.com)

oh and i saw that price on those spark plugs from modern perofrmance...well like i said ill check out that web site (sparkplugs.com) asap thanks again for the help guys....

Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spark blow out is due to the forced induction, that is why it is a somewhat common problem for them. It isn't a common problem that happens alot, but it is a problem that is associated with forced induction. You'll enjoy your read.

Yes, you can get the wires without getting the coil, most people on here only have the MSD wires and not the MSD coil. You can get the MSD plug wires most anywhere, check out the sponsors here on DF, they can most likely get you the best possible deal on them.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
bellosiciliano18
Professional

thanks alot, gonna look into it more as soon as a get a chance...thanks dude

Old 02-15-2005, 02:55 AM
bellosiciliano18
Professional

well i was checkin out the web site (www.sparkplugs.com) and i saw the ngk spark plugs for $7.60 for the premium and $2.24 for the regular.... im guessin i should get the preminum right?? and also what are the "Iridium plug" for $69.95??? is this also needed or not really...?

Old 02-15-2005, 02:59 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

just call them and tell them you want ngk 4306. some people are going with the the iridiums, but personally i think that if you're gonna spend that amount of money on plugs you might as well get the denso's.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs