Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plugs

bellosiciliano18

the iridium deals with the material used in the electrode of the spark plug. they have used materials from copper, to platinum, to iridium, to nickel... platinum was the big thing not too long ago, but as we all learned by watching rap video's - platinum is expensive... for our cars the PLZTR5A-13 is the best NGK plug you can get for the car (good luck finding them though)... most aftermarket companies offer LZTR5AIX-13's (which are the iridiums)... now, I am biased, I work for NGK... so of course I am going to tell you/anyone to get them...

just out of curiosity Amy, why do you prefer the Denso's? Gotta "know thy enemy"

Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

i have seen the benefits of using them over the ngk's. a lot of the big turbo people use them and it really does seem to help control blow out and smooth out the idle. i've been using the ngk 4306's since they were released, and although i am pleased with how the car has responded to the plugs (smoother idle and less break up at higher rpms) i have not been pleased with the way that the plugs wear. i'm already on my 5th set of plugs. i have had to change them every 2-3 months, and at each change i can feel the car perform better, but then it quickly goes back to break up. i know that plugs aren't that expensive, but it's a little much to be going through 5-6 sets a year at $10 a piece. for the same money i can get a set of denso's that i know won't cause me the same issues.

the only reason that i haven't changed over to them yet is because i was waiting until s3 arrives. denso's should not be gapped, so i wanted to wait until i had the larger turbo so i could use the 22's and not have to buy multiple sets (at $12 a plug i don't want to do it twice). so now that s3 will be here soon, i'm buying the denso's.

i have seen multiple big turbo cars try both the ngk's and the denso's, and it just seems that the cars respond better to the denso's. now i haven't seen many of these cars use the irridiums long term, as most owners around here are using denso's once they increase boost or go with a bigger turbo. do you have any data as to how the irridiums compare to the desno's?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Wheat_Burner
Professional

It looks like I'm late to the party, but I'm pretty sure the stock Champion spark plugs are the same ones used in the 2.0L engines.
Talk about cutting corners.

I've heard/read about more failures with the aftermarket coils than with the OEM units. RR had one so why not use it, but I wouldn't spend the money on it though for the SRT-4.
The heat shield is a great idea to help keep your wires from roasting.

As you upgrade, you're going to need to upgrade your plugs and close your gap accordingly.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:10 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

do you have any data as to how the irridiums compare to the desno's?
hmmm... I'll have to check and see what's out there for this... I know we originally fitted the SRT's with O2 sensors and plugs for testing... but I don't know how those tests went (I work for the Ford account, so DCX stuff isn't my "main" concern ) I'll see what I can find, but I make no promises, and let you know Amy if I do find anything.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:00 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 AM
westsuzanne

Hello? Newcommer to this sight and need some help. I have a red 04 srt-4 neon 18K miles and had a spark plug blow out. It is an all stock car no mods done and dodge machanic giving me crap about fixing it. We have the extended warranty and of course it is always a catch 22 when you need something fixed. First thing he said was the other three spark plugs were loose...and when I argued then he said theblown out spark plug had tool marks on it and looks like it may have been tampered with.I wanted to know if the loose plugswould have contributed? the other argument is bull cause no one messed with the car besides when I get the oil changed. I don't race much unless I'm late to work.The spark plug was fine but the threads in the head were stripped. It means $250 bucks to have them thread lock it or 2K to get the thing sent in and repaired the right way. Any input would be great. I'm at my wits end[&o]
Suzanne

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: westsuzanne

Hello? Newcommer to this sight and need some help. I have a red 04 srt-4 neon 18K miles and had a spark plug blow out. It is an all stock car no mods done and dodge machanic giving me crap about fixing it. We have the extended warranty and of course it is always a catch 22 when you need something fixed. First thing he said was the other three spark plugs were loose...and when I argued then he said theblown out spark plug had tool marks on it and looks like it may have been tampered with.I wanted to know if the loose plugswould have contributed? the other argument is bull cause no one messed with the car besides when I get the oil changed. I don't race much unless I'm late to work.The spark plug was fine but the threads in the head were stripped. It means $250 bucks to have them thread lock it or 2K to get the thing sent in and repaired the right way. Any input would be great. I'm at my wits end
Suzanne
blown out?? do they mean dielectric puncture? (big problem with the stock Champion plugs)? that means there is a hole produced in the side of the spark plug (inside the cylinder, hole develops on the white insulator near the center electrode typically).

Stripped threads?? improper torque probably - too tight! of course, if the plugs are loose, I wonder if the heat developed would affect the threads... just an idea, no proof on that one...

loose plugs will lead to an increase of cylinder temps, which in turn leads to potential pre-ignition... aka, no more motor!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
srt4ACRboy
Professional

What do you guys and gurls have for a gap on the spark plugs? Or I should say what should I put as a gap for my spark plugs? I just got the MSD 8.5mm wires and bought the hotter NGK Iridiums IX. All I have done with the car is OCC, MOPAR BOV, AEM SRI.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: srt4ACRboy
hotter NGK Iridiums IX
Hotter plugs?? I don't think they make a Heat Range 4 in that style... do you mean #6's?? which are COLDER than stock (colder is always safer than hotter).........

The Stock Heat Range is a 5... NGK rating - the higher the number = colder (safer) plug...

Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional

i stick with ngk iridiums, i spent about 89 bucks for a set of 4 for my last vehicle...can only imagine the pricing of iridiums for this one

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs