Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

New member, New car

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Tipop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, New car

I've been browsing through the forum and found quite a bit of useful information, and it seems many people we versed in the modding of SRT-4s. Unlike myself I'm pretty much a, well newbie to all of this and had been introduced to the eye and ear catching world of moded vehicles. I've been looking for my first !new! car lately and my eyes keep landing on the SRT-4 (and its specs ). Anyway I've been looking at the mods available for them as well. I hate to go and start modding a new car, but I won't be able to help myself! I'm sure I'll void enough parts of the warrenty to make baby jesus cry. I haven't purchase the car yet, although I have pretty much descided on it so I figured I would start gathering information and get a few questions out there to all you vetrans.
What mods do you suggest first? I want to go to Stage 2, for my own use I probably will not need Stage 3, and I'm not quite sure of the functionality of the toys or if I even want them yet in the stage 2 kit, it seems they are there for the more hardcore racer with all the high octane settings and such.
Blow off valve, gotta have one of those ha. Just not quite sure which brand to buy? Does it have to be installed after stage 2?? Or does it matter? Another Newbie question that probably is similar to that remote control PSsst noise machine I seen earlier in the forums lol. I have seen cars recently that have (or seems to have) visible BOV. Venting out at some point at their car. Not a speed issue I'm sure, but I've always been more of a visual person myself and seeing your car jet out pressure as you rev up the engine from some predetermined intimidating point is always nice to see . Although if it is some false push button mechanism thats defiantly not for me.
Beyond that I have seen quite a few things that I have considered from intercoolers to supensions to intakes, but am unsure of what to get first or if it really matters. But like I said before, I'm just getting into this stuff and feel like diving head first. Of course its unlikely most of this I could install solo and would have to take to a dealer ( and would be more comfortable letting them do it ) and was wondering just how far I should expect them to reach into my pockets to throw varoius things on [sm=smiley29.gif]?
I appreciate the help and all the feed back your able to give.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:09 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: New member, New car

First of all, before doing any mods, be aware that the mods themselves don't void the warranty. The dealer must prove the particular part or mod was the source of the failure of whatever part or system breaks down. As for starting out, a Mopar BOV won't gain you any speed, but DOES get attention. An oil catch can will help keep the engine clean if you have a heavy foot. And your plug wires will likely start to crack/melt (esp #4) within 5,000 miles, so plug wire sheaths (Summit Racing) or MSD plug wires, or both are a good idea. A front strut tower bar will improve handling and bolts right on. A K&N air filter will get you a few extra ponies for $40. Personally, I'd let the dealer do the BOV and Stage 2 installs, everything else is easy, even for a newbee.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Barneydriver
Captain

I'm a newbie too, but I've been watching the post for awhile- I just got an '04 SRT, but I'm not new to the neon scene (yes, I know, it's NOT a neon!). I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. First of all, what you are seeing that you refer to as a visible blow-off valve is probably a purge valve for a nitrous system- it's how you get all of the gas out of the nitrous line to make sure you only have liquid- the nitrous is so cold it condenses the water out of the air and looks like a white stream of liquid. And you're right, it is pretty cool. I wouldn't worry about nitrous anytime soon.
Secondly, I wanted to toss in my recommendations based on what I've seen work well on my neons (and SRT). The mopar short throw shifter is a well made piece and will dramatically improve your shifts, and it's cheap to boot (around $100- talk your sales guy into getting you a discount). Also, these cars (as are most FWD cars) are infamous for understeer, so I stiffen up the tail before I stiffen up the front- a thicker rear sway bar helps alot there (20-22 mm).
As for the stage 2, I'm waiting for mine to arrive at my dealer- the only one of the turbo toys that matters to us every day guys is the boost controller- the SRT's boost must be controlled through the ECU (PCM, whatever- it's the computer) and is resistant to any other means of control- it's possible, but if you're new to all this then I'd get the toys- they are the most efficient way to control boost w/out fairly involved mods.
Anyway, I could go on, but I'm already boring everyone and I didn't mean to write a book. I'm sure everyone else will weigh in on the issue as we all have our own ideas as to what's important.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2941/Db842021162.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2004, 12:43 PM
glhs837

Welcome,

The venting you see is most likely a nitrous purge system. Not anything you will want to do, most likely. Does look intimidating, though. As far as the BOVs and other mods, it depends I guess on your comfort factor with a wrench. If you are local to other owners who can help you out, if you want to do it that way, we can try and set you up.

I helped a young guy near me do his short throw shifter and BOV last week. None of this is like tuning a custom turbo setup, Stage 2 with Turbo Toys is fairly involved, but the base Stage 2 kit is basically removing and replacing components, none of them really complicated, the wastegate being the most complicated mechanically. There are some great how-tos with pics at this site, for common items. Thanks to Rezin8 for building it.

http://www.dodge-srt4.com/home.html

With proper help, you can do it yourself, be sure it's done right, and learn more about the car. One side benefit to this method is that if it comes down to a dispute about what a mod might or might not have done, you have more knowledge about what was done.

Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT knocking the dealer install route, to each his own.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:15 PM
thejuice18

if you want to feel a big difference in your car your best bet is to go with the wastegate, that will drop your time by about half a sec. then i would get the K&N cold air intake, the cold air makes your car sound like it already as a bov and you can also hear the car suck in more air. i personaly don't like the mopar bov, i don't think it sounds good, but if you don't want to spen a lot of money then go ahead a get it. i have to greddy bov and i love it, it cost more but i think that it sounds a lot better and greddy has been around for a long time so you know that they make good stuff. just by getting those 3 things your car will be faster and will also sound a lot better.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here's my thoughts on it. First off is the plug wires, they're cheap and easy. You can get the MSD Super Conductors for $40 and change them yourself in 1-2 minutes.

Second would be the oil catch can. The Greddy oil catch can looks really sharp and gets the job done for around $90 and you can do it in no time flat depending on where you decide to put it.

Third would be the BOV. I would get the Mopar Performance BOV. If you get any other BOV you still have to go through the hassel of putting a block off plate where the Mopar BOV would go as well as installing the other BOV elsewhere. Plus all the other BOV's cost alot more than the Mopar peice. You can get the Mopar BOV for $70.

Fourth is the either the K&N replacement filter or a CAI kit. Some people seem to experience problems with CAI kits on their SRT-4's while others do not. The replacement filter is around $40 and you can change it youself in 5 minutes. The CAI kits cost anywhere from $150 and up and you can do it yourself fairly easy, the time it takes will vary depending on the CAI kit you get.

Fifth is the exhaust. There is a ton of thing you can do as far as the exhaust is concerned, from the Mopar Performance/Borla 2.5" cat-back SS exhaust for $335 to one of several 3" turbo back exhausts for up to $900+. If your on a budget or if you don't need something really radical, get the Mopar exhaust, if not then get a good 3" turbo back for maximum performance.

Lastly, Stage 2. I think it's around $800 without toys and $1,395 with toys. This will make full use of all the other mods and it will make it feel like a whole different beast.

Other items you may want to get:
Mopar Performance short throw shifter & booger bushings
Motor mount inserts
Strut tower braces F&R

Enjoy the beautiful beast known as an SRT-4.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 04-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Tipop
Professional

Perhaps someone could direct me to a few places where Bodykits for SRT-4's are available. I'm searched quite a bit all I can seem to find is the horridly ugly Kamari (sp?). Not even any carbon fiber products.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:08 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is very little available as far as body kits for the SRT-4's. Besides, why would you want to change the look of an SRT-4, it already looks great.[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 04-01-2004, 11:15 AM
OASRT48U

agree with you

Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Tipop
Professional

The srt just sits too high for my tastes so I was either going to buy a new supension and lower it slightly or get a body kit if I am able to find one that is appealing

Quick Reply: New member, New car