Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

NEED HELP ON BOV BOV BOV

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Import Killer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ON BOV BOV BOV

hey whats up guys, im new to this site, i got my SRT4 about a month ago...looking to do some upgrades..wanna do Perrin Charge Pipe + Turbo XS RFL BOV..but heard many bad things about that BOV...which is the best BOV for the SRT??? People said that the Mopar is the best im very lost..n i want to do this upgrade the best way possible so HELPP PLEASEEE[sm=smiley13.gif][sm=smiley19.gif][sm=smiley5.gif][sm=smiley6.gif]

Old 05-08-2004, 11:57 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: NEED HELP ON BOV BOV BOV

You're gonna get a lot of different opinions on this topic. Personally, I like the Mopar BOV, it's cheap , your dealer can put it on, and it's MOPAR!!!! [sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]

OK, everybody else pile on here.....[sm=smiley3.gif]

Old 05-09-2004, 12:53 AM
Import Killer

Yea i was going to go Mopar but how does it sound??? i mean is it loud...does it last? i heard people talking about BOV leaking or something like that, i just want to get the best out of my money..i dont want to spend like 300 bucks on pipe n a BOV if it sucks, cuz mopar BOV is cheap so..how does that sound??? any other opinons on whats the best BOV 4 SRT4?????

Old 05-09-2004, 04:39 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you looking for the best money to sound ratio it's the Mopar BOV.
$69.99 + Tax= Mopar BOV (from dealership)
$2.99 + Tax= Permatex Hylomar Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant (from Auto Zone)
Is it loud? Ask a few of the people that were walking when I almost made them soil themselves when I shifted and the BOV went off next to them.[sm=smiley26.gif][sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley15.gif] Some people have had leaking issues that reduced boost with the Mopar BOV. That is why I came up with the Permatex Hylomar solution, simply apply a very thin layer to each side of the gasket and it will be a perfect leak free install. I installed mine almost a month ago and have had no leaks and it put out 15 psi boost this saturday afternoon.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 05-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

A lot of guys love the Forge BOV- me personally, I like the Mopar- it really does sound great. Also, some guys say it leaks, but I disagree with most of them. Although I haven't read everyone's post that says they have problems, I'm willing to bet that 95% of them just never looked at the boost gauge prior to installing the BOV. You rarely actually get 15 psi unless it's a warm day. These guys claim the valve is leaking because they only get 12 or 13 psi, but that's actually quite normal. Also, stories like that have a way of spreading like wildfire, with people spreading them who don't even have the item on their car. Anyway, my point being, just take any claims of leaks with a grain of salt. I didn't use any sealer and have seen no difference in boost from before I installed it.
RoadRunner's sealant idea will overcome any concerns you might have about leakage- I would have done that if I'd heard of it BEFORE I installed the valve (thanks a lot guys), but since I'm not having any problems there's no way in HELL I'm getting back in there and taking it off. Have fun with the install, btw.

Old 05-09-2004, 05:19 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

That's right, on a rainy or humid day I only get around 13 psi at max whereas a nice warm, dry day like today I was getting 15 psi max.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 05-09-2004, 04:37 PM
byebye
Veteran

I have the mopar BOV conversion kit on mine. It sounds hella good. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it bleeds off at low boost and makes a puny sound. At wide open throttle and shifting at redline it is extremely LOUD! If you get a up-pipe with a BOV I think you still have to put on a Block Off Plate where the mopar BOV one would go. With all that work you might as well get the mopar one. As far al leaks I haven't had any. Just torque the bolts down pretty good and you should be fine.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:14 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The only bad thing about the Mopar BOV is the install...it's a real bear. I'm taking my BOV to the dealer (along with a tube of sealer and a box of donuts for the mechanic) and let them mess with it....[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 05-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Import Killer

OK looks like Every1 likes the Mopar BOV so looks like thats what imma do!!!
but people also say, they take it to the dealer to put it in? wont they kill your warrenty if you start doing **** to the car?
and what else would i have to buy other then the BOV and that Permatex Hylomar Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant..would i need new pipes or what else????

Old 05-10-2004, 03:22 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Nope, that's all you need. The Mopar BOV comes with the gasket and longer bolts that you need, just pick up the Permatex Hylomar and your done shopping for parts. If you do the install yourself you will want to stop at Sears and get a 10mm ratcheting wrench and a 10mm open end short wrench, trust me they'll save you time and frustration. You can install it yourself, it's just a little bit of a pain in the a**.

The dealer can't do a damn thing about it, they have to honor the factory warranty unless they can prove that any problems are a direct result of the modifications. The ONLY thing that can and will void your warranty is using the vehicle for competition/racing. I was given an estimate of $75-$115 to put the Mopar BOV on, so I saved myself that much by taking an hour and a half one saturday morning to do it myself. It's pretty easy, the hardest part was putting the gasket, BOV and Mopar BOV plate back in as an entire assembly, the rest was just time consuming wrenching on the one hard to get to bolt.

FYI: Tonight I ordered a pizza for pick-up. There is an ice cream shop across the street and down the road a little from the pizza place. On my way back home, I pass by the ice cream shop and there were two people ordering(up front outside). When I left the pizza place I shift into 3rd, as usual, right in front of the ice cream place and I thought I gave the two people out front whiplash when the BOV went off, their heads snapped around like an owls. I loved it, and so will you once you get yours and get it on.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley16.gif][sm=smiley17.gif][sm=smiley2.gif][sm=smiley4.gif]