Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Found #2 spark plug loose!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:33 AM
BigE
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found #2 spark plug loose!

At 8500 miles on my car she was starting to run rough. Idle quality was very poor. During WOT runs the boost was getting cut during the middle of the RPM band, but came up to maximum at red line. So I figured the stock copper plugs and wires were getting tired. I put in a set of NGK 4306 plugs like the mopar stage 2 kit said. I also got a set of MSD wires for good measure. It didn't take long to figure out what was wrong. I got to the #2 spark plug, and could remove it with out the aid of my socket wrench. It wasn't even finger tight! There was black carbon all the way up the threads, and also fried the lower portion of the sparkplug boot. The car had been running all this time on 3½ cylinders!

So I went for a test drive after it was all done. WOW, HUGE power improvement! I'm in the 13's for sure now! Less than a month until Milan Dragway opens, and I'm going to be ready.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion
Default RE: Found #2 spark plug loose!

I took my spark plugs out the other night only to find slight misfiring in cylinder's 1 and 4, and an oil leak from somewhere....maybe the valve cover gasket, but the dealer had the VC off when they did the lash adjusters, so Im assuming that they fkd something up.

I hope its as simple as yours was. I ordered MSD wires and ANOTHER set of NGKs.....4306s I have the Iridiums right now, but they'll be toast by Tuesday when I take it in so Im kinda screwed.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
American__Muscle
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BigE

At 8500 miles on my car she was starting to run rough. Idle quality was very poor. During WOT runs the boost was getting cut during the middle of the RPM band, but came up to maximum at red line. So I figured the stock copper plugs and wires were getting tired. I put in a set of NGK 4306 plugs like the mopar stage 2 kit said. I also got a set of MSD wires for good measure. It didn't take long to figure out what was wrong. I got to the #2 spark plug, and could remove it with out the aid of my socket wrench. It wasn't even finger tight! There was black carbon all the way up the threads, and also fried the lower portion of the sparkplug boot. The car had been running all this time on 3½ cylinders!

So I went for a test drive after it was all done. WOW, HUGE power improvement! I'm in the 13's for sure now! Less than a month until Milan Dragway opens, and I'm going to be ready.
You'd better be in the 13's with s2!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

Milan... where are you in Michigan BigE?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM
whatneon
Professional

The srt-3....lol

Old 03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
BigE
Veteran

Ypsi, just NE of campus.

Its kinda funny. This whole time I driving the car, it only felt like a low / flat 14 second car. I read everyone talking about how fast the car is stock. I read how fast the car feels with the S2 kit. But I own another 13 second car. I ride in other 13 second cars. My car just didn't feel like a solid 13 to me. [:@]

Until last night! Now I'm sure my car can run 13's all day. I just have to wait and see how deep into the 13's I can go.

My '88 T-bird with a lot of mustang 5.0L upgrades runs 13.68 @ 103.5 all day (1.90 60'). The best the T-bird ran once, (and only once) was 13.56 @ 100.2 with a 1.86 60' time.

If the SRT can beat the T-bird the first day at the track I'm going to;
a) Cry - I've owned the bird for 12 years now, yes it took that long to go that fast. I never did like red anyway.
b) Think about selling the bird to buy more parts for the neon.
c) Laugh the whole way home cuz' this is one hell of a nice and fast car for the money!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
cody223

I have a question. how do you guys get your spark plugs out of the hole, because i can't find a way to do it and it's about time to get my spark plugs changed.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
srt4ever
Veteran

BIG E - I am near Milan, MI. ...like about 15 minutes away from there.

SRT-YA - Where at are you in Michigan?

Where either of you at the MIS show in 2007, I met someone there with a low mileage SRT-4 and had a SRT hat on...sound familiar?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

ORIGINAL: cody223

I have a question. how do you guys get your spark plugs out of the hole, because i can't find a way to do it and it's about time to get my spark plugs changed.
There's a type of spark plug wrench you can buy to do it, or many garages/auto parts stores/oil change places have them as well.....

I gapped my Champion Plats at .043 and the car runs better than ever........the .050 on the hood sticker is too big.

Dusty

Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

Totally agree with dusty, I tried mine at .050 and ran like crap. Put them down to .045 I think and yea alot better.

Quick Reply: Found #2 spark plug loose!