Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Question about upper strut bars...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 07:57 PM
xXxIZZYxXx
|
Captain
Default Question about upper strut bars...

Alright I just bought my front and rear upper strut bars, got them today...... I know this might be a stupid question, but does my car need to be lifted in order for me to install them, or can I do it while the car is on the ground? Please... be gentle......

Old 10-17-2006 | 08:28 PM
talisman
Veteran
Default RE: Question about upper strut bars...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you should install these with the car on the ground. What model did you buy ? I'm looking at the DC sports front and rear strut bars at Modern Performance, they look good and are priced pretty reasonably. How much will they help the handling ?

I had a 2002 Neon ACR and I've never driven anything that handled like, when you saw a curve you could just shift down, step on the gas and steer, that thing stuck to the road like glue, but it was lacking in power.

I'd like to get my SRT into the same handling ballpark as that ACR

Old 10-17-2006 | 08:31 PM
flameredsrt
Veteran

Nope,just undue the 2 bolts needed for mounting than torque em down.Thats all,very easy.The back one you will need to trim the carpet to make it look good.

Old 10-17-2006 | 09:06 PM
talisman
Veteran

Howell automotive is selling the DC sports strut bars fror $90 compared to Modern Performance selling them for $130. It pays to shop around. Anyone know how much these will help ?

Maybe when Howell ever gets my Stage 1 computer in I'll get the strut bars at the same time.

Old 10-17-2006 | 09:55 PM
Plan B
Captain

I got the DC bars, front & back, and I noticed the difference immediately! They are very easy to install (do not need to lift the vehicle) and stiffin up the ride quite well. Only suggestion I can make is do not torque the nuts down to hard, it will break the washers that are attached to the nuts. The instructions call for 18-19 lbs of torque, but I would do a little more for that isn't much. Also, I had to change out one of the bolts on the back. The stock bolt has a phatty washer attached to it and it didn't fit well with the strut bar. It came in contact with the weld on the brace. I just got a slightly smaller washer and another nut. I got mine for $90 (steel series) a piece as well, definately shop around. Good buy though, enjoy!

Old 10-18-2006 | 04:28 PM
xXxIZZYxXx
|
Captain

Ok I was able to install my rear strut bar, but not my front one, my aem intake is a bit to high up for comfort, so I am going to have to lower it a bit, oh yeah, my freakin aem tore just like LSP's, not a big whole, but enough to worry, I am going to tape it shut for now, but I will be putting my stock intake on later on, without the box of course, I can feel my back end a bit tighter, feels good, I can't wait to see what it feels like when I do my front strut bar as well.

Old 10-18-2006 | 06:12 PM
moparman04
Captain

izzy.. how much room do you have left after installing your strut bar in the back?? i was thinking about throwing one in but im not sure i have the room with my 2 15's back there

Old 10-18-2006 | 07:28 PM
Plan B
Captain

Izzy - Had the same issue with the clearance of the intake. Got the AEM SRI and DC Strut Bar. Mine aren't touching, but when you throww it in reverse it can chatter at times. I can't really see any harm in it. If anything, it may keep the SRI from moving too much to prevent the bracket from breaking like with LSP. Or at least that is what I am banking on!

Moparman - Friend of mine has two 15's in the back with the DC Strut Bar. The box doesn't fit under the bar, but it fits in the trunk snuggly. He ended up just mounting his amps to the back of the box, clearing the strut bar of course, and it seems to work for him. I will see if I can get some pics from him if you would like...

Old 10-18-2006 | 08:40 PM
moparman04
Captain

please...both my amps are on the back of the seats right now.. but if it will work i'd like to do the back of box idea

Old 10-18-2006 | 09:17 PM
Plan B
Captain

I don't see him much, so don't hold your breath, but I will try... You would be safe with just leaving them on the back of the seats, essentially it is the same setup. They won't come in contact with the strut bar in that location. The only downside is that my buddy has absolutly no room for anything other than a jacket and a pair of shoes or something similar in his trunk since the box can't be pushed up against the back of the seats...

Quick Reply: Question about upper strut bars...