Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

mods 4 noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:21 PM
04blksrt
|
Veteran
Default mods 4 noise

what can i do to my srt to make the turbo come alive as far as pitch. im lookin at all these youtube.com clips of the srts with ungodly sounds coming from the turbo and am kinda jealous. will an exhaust and bov do the trick?? those who have read my previous posts know that im now the most turbo inclined YET! i would definately love some feedback from anyone w/exhaust, bov.... or anyone who has a sound clip of their car w/mods that could lead me in the direction im wanting to go....THANX ALOT FELLAS!!!

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:46 PM
jac05srt4
Professional
Default RE: mods 4 noise

I dont know much about turbos, but I would say that a bov is great and an intake. The intake will make the turbo spooling loud. From what I know, bov's differ in sound. I have heard the non mopar ones and I personally am not a fan of the high pitch sound, but each is their own. The mopar bov sounds more like an air compressor letting air out.

Old 12-13-2006 | 08:55 PM
aalva79
Professional

A CAI will do the trick and increasing the boost (MBC or EBC) will add even more to the noise of the turbo, the bov only helps the turbo get rid of some of the turbo surge not so much a spooling sound.

Old 12-13-2006 | 09:12 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

MOPAR BOV.......think of an eighteen wheeler and the airbrakes sound.............

Dusty

Old 12-13-2006 | 09:37 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

yup, mopar blue plate will be the easiest way to get some sound. then a CAI will help you hear the 'spooling' as well as give kind of a flutter sound at times. you could also get a loud as hell BOV and block off the stock surge valve, they make some to intentionally be loud. but as someone already said, i dont like those real high pitch sounding ones.

Old 12-14-2006 | 03:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

If you want the turbo whistle at an idle like most big trucks and some diesel pick-up trucks have, you will need a catless and mufflerless exhaust and they already are without any muffler stock so eliminating the cat should do the trick. The BOV is great, I've made people on the sidewalks **** themselves with it. The CAI will do as already mentioned and it all adds up to more power and more fun.

Old 12-14-2006 | 12:10 PM
04blksrt
|
Veteran

guys, thank you all soooo much for all your input. ive been on this forum for 4 days and i have already learned more about my car than i have known in 2 years. ive been looking at the prices for all this stuff and its looking like the CAI will be around 215$, the BOV about 100$, and im a little unsure about the cat ordeal. now on my previous civics, when gutting the cat the pitch of the car took a turn for the worst. now of course that was with the muffler, which as stated we do not have from factory, but how much will gutting the cat change the pitch on my srt. has anyone had this done that could give me a thumbs up or thumbs down?!?! once again guys, thank you all so very much for all the help!!!

Old 12-14-2006 | 09:42 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

just putting on a catless downpipe wont hurt your tone, it is really personal preference as to if its 'better' or not

Old 12-15-2006 | 02:24 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

It will make it have a light turbo whistle at idle and be louder all around during acceleration, but the exhausts' pitch will be the same deep burbly sound only louder and except for the light whistle it will be almost the same at an idle.

Old 12-17-2006 | 12:03 PM
redevil
All Star

mopar bovs are cheap and tend to leak a lot...don't go cheap on your car 'cause you'll regreat it.Go for a better bov..like a raptor or hks...and hard pipes.If you want you turbo to be loud..3' cat back or cut out...and watchout for cops

Quick Reply: mods 4 noise