New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

My Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 AM
mr. mopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Introduction

I would like to introduce myself.

I am in my 50's and have driven and owned Chrysler products since 1965 which is why my freinds had given me the nickname Mr. Mopar.

In the late sixties and early seventies I worked part time for Romeo Palemides Engineering and actually worked on the infamous 1968
Chi Town Hustler Funny car Of Farkonas, Coil & Minick (This is the same Austin Coil who is now John Forces Crew Chief) The Gene Snow Rambunctious Dodge Funny Car, and Dick Burguois Doug Headers Vega Funny Car. I also worked part time with my brother at Dyers Blower Service in Argo Ill. This is the Gary Dyer who was the orginal driver of the Mr. Norm Grand Spaulding Dodge Race Cars.

I am currently a engineer at a tool and die company outside of Chicago..

I learned to drive and got my drivers license in my dad's 1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix. A 118" wheel base 413 long cross ram powered beast which
really put the need for speed bug bite into me.

My personal vehicles over the years.
1966 Dodge Coronet Police Car (Air, No power Steering, No Power Brakes 273 Solid Lifter V8) This thing steered and rode like a truck.
1969 Dodge Dart GT (Air, AM/FM radio, Bucket Seats, Head Rests, Light Package, 273 V8 T-flite, Heavt Duty Suspension)
1974 Dodge Charger SE (Air, AM/FM, 440 V-8 and all the performance stuf that went with it)
1975 Ramcharger SE (Big old 4X4, 360 V-8 Air, and all the luxuries that came with high end SE package)
1976 Chrysler Cordoba (Air, Corinthian leather, Typical Luxury Stuff and a HP 400 V-8 Air pump Dual Exhausts no catalytic converter)
Got Married in 1977 and since then have had the following
1979 Ramcharger (nothing spectacular used it to plow snow)
1982 Dodge Charger 2.2 (this car was quick for a 4 Cylinder Surprised many a Camaro and Mustang lead sleds of the time)
1983 Dodge Aries Wagon ( hey had kids now needed practicality) not a great car in anyway, almost turned me off to Chrysler Products
1987 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo Coupe (only option it did'nt have was a sun roof) Just junked it this past summer after the oldest son blew up
the motor @ 165,000
1991 Voyager (not loaded, not spectacular, but ran forever.) It was stolen and stripped of anything usable Thanksgiving 2004. Can't really figure
why. Rust holes all over it and 203,000 miles on it.
1995 Chrysler Concorde (Totaled Thanksgiving 2004 in front of my house by a drunk driver)
1997 Dodge Stratus ES (great little car loaded with luxuries) gave this up for an Intrepid a very special Intrepid
My Current Stable of vehicles
2001 Sebring Conv (wifes car).
2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T Motorsports Edition Flame Red autographed for me by Sterling Marlin
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T Weighs 4150 lbs and runs 14.35 @ 97 MPH.

All this to bring me to the orginal purpose of getting into this forum I am looking for replacement yellow letered tires for the Intrepid.
Being there were only 343 Intrepid R/T's produced with the Motorsports option I feel this will become a future collectors car. I want to keep it original. When I went to replace the tires I found out Goodyear stopped producing them two years ago. If anyone out there can hel-p let me know

Thanks everyone
Greg AKA Mr. Mopar

Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Daksport1pa
Banned
Default RE: My Introduction

Welcome to the site. I think your best option would be to buy a set of Goodyears and I've heard a couple of people just painted the white lettering yellow. It does suck that they stopped producing those tires. They should have figured that people with the Motorsport edition vehicles would want them but I guess it wasn't enough of a market to justify producing them.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the monte carlo models also used those yellow lettered tires...have you tried searching around shops that specialize in odd ball tires, such as old redlines, or polyglass?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
MGDMike
Champion

Welcome to DF!! I had to laugh when I read the part of your 1991 Voyager being stolen and stripped...Forgive me. My folks bought the 1991 Voyager as well and boy did I hated the looks of it. But it got us every where we wanted to go. Take care and again welcome to DF.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:24 AM
03_HEMI
Veteran

Welcome to DF

Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 AM
mr. mopar

thank you for the welcome.
got very busy and could not get
back to the forum until now

Old 10-04-2005, 12:08 AM
mr. mopar

Thank you for the welcome.
Things got hectic at work and I could not check
any messages until now

Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 AM
mr. mopar

Thanks for welcoming me aboard the forum.
You are correct about the Monte Carlo' The Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Editions had the
Yellow Lettered Goodyears but they were for 16 in rims. There was a Mustang Edition with them also.
I found sets of these on E-bay. Dodge chose 225 55R17 for their vehicles and that is the problem. I
cannot find any in the 17 in size.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:26 AM
mr. mopar

Thanks for the welcome.
You hit the nail on the head about market. I don't think Goodyear figured it might
be a couple of years and a few miles on the vehicles before a need might arise.
I am trying to put together some photos of both the Magnum and Intrepid to post

Old 10-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Fiddle Player
Champion

Welcome! A true devoted mopar man.. very nice indeed...

Quick Reply: My Introduction