This car is a POS

Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: This car is a POS

Thanks srtommy. I'm not too wild about the idea of using a Volvo engine. Volvo has some reliability issues. It would be interesting though. Ford would probably be wiser to go the V8 route if they offer an engine that deserves to be a V8 this time. I hear Ford will be making a 3.5L V6 before long. I hope they either start from scratch or find a better engine to base it off of than the crappy Duratech. My dad has one in his '04 Taurus and it is noisy, has no low-end torque, and drinks gas like a college student drinks alcohol.

Matt, the Fusion is using a Mazda 6 platform, and the 500 is using a Volvo platform. They are two different cars altogether.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 PM
srtommy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Thanks srtommy. I'm not too wild about the idea of using a Volvo engine. Volvo has some reliability issues. It would be interesting though. Ford would probably be wiser to go the V8 route if they offer an engine that deserves to be a V8 this time. I hear Ford will be making a 3.5L V6 before long. I hope they either start from scratch or find a better engine to base it off of than the crappy Duratech. My dad has one in his '04 Taurus and it is noisy, has no low-end torque, and drinks gas like a college student drinks alcohol.

Matt, the Fusion is using a Mazda 6 platform, and the 500 is using a Volvo platform. They are two different cars altogether.
The engines they have looked at are the Volvo T5 and the Mazdaspeed 6 engine. A 4.0L V-8 has been tested too. But 300HP/300Tq is the goal. I heard it back when I worked at a Ford dealership and I had an "in" with SVT. There may be a 6-speed manual available too.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: srtommy

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

The engines they have looked at are the Volvo T5 and the Mazdaspeed 6 engine. A 4.0L V-8 has been tested too. But 300HP/300Tq is the goal. I heard it back when I worked at a Ford dealership and I had an "in" with SVT. There may be a 6-speed manual available too.
If they use the Mazdaspeed 6 engine, they are going to have to modify it or something to get 300hp because it only currently puts out 274 hp & 280 ft-lbs of torque. The Volvo T5 does offer that, but I just don't trust that engine. Glad to hear their may be a 6 speed manual available. Do you know if it would offer AWD? Is the 4.0L V8 tested related to the SHO engine line, a Jaguar engine, or is it related to the normal Ford V8s?

Old 01-31-2006, 01:39 AM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

I understand sir, but it doesnt matter, anyone who buys that must have a serious problem with researching before they buy.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:19 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MG42pillbox

“Ooooo wee”, the new Zephyr!

http://www.lincoln.com/zephyr/home.asp

This car is an absolute…. PHAWKING JOKE!
All models comes with a FWD Transaxle 3.0 V6 that has 205lbs of Torque?[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

BAAAAAAHAHAHA!! ROTFLMMFAO!

Give me a break, is this the best Ford/Lincoln has to offer?? The 300s will just continue to steam-roll the competition.
Truth be told, you dont need alot of torque or HP to make a good luxo-cruiser, its all about the ride... grandmas and grandpas dont go flooring it everywhere, they are just concerned with how smooth it shifts and how comfy the seats are. Hgher performance also means worse gas mileage for the most part.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Most likely

-Matt-

Old 01-31-2006, 02:05 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: vipersforsale

ORIGINAL: MG42pillbox

“Ooooo wee”, the new Zephyr!

http://www.lincoln.com/zephyr/home.asp

This car is an absolute…. PHAWKING JOKE!
All models comes with a FWD Transaxle 3.0 V6 that has 205lbs of Torque?[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

BAAAAAAHAHAHA!! ROTFLMMFAO!

Give me a break, is this the best Ford/Lincoln has to offer?? The 300s will just continue to steam-roll the competition.
Truth be told, you dont need alot of torque or HP to make a good luxo-cruiser, its all about the ride... grandmas and grandpas dont go flooring it everywhere, they are just concerned with how smooth it shifts and how comfy the seats are. Hgher performance also means worse gas mileage for the most part.
Yes, but Caddilac, BMW, and Mercedes has succeed in selling more cars by offering performance options because the crowd that buys luxury cars is more than just senior citizens. Caddilac used to have mostly senior citizens as customers, now they are starting to drawn in the more youthful crowd by offering the V-series. Considering that Caddilac was supposed to be Lincoln's competitor for so many years and that Caddilac is improving in this and that Lincoln is not, Lincoln is screwing themselves by not offering a more powerful engine. When you consider that people have the choice of getting a smooth ride from cars that cost less and have more performance than this car like the Buick LaCrosse, TOYota Avalon, and other non-luxury brands, this is why Lincoln isn't competitive anymore.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

the CTS which starts under 30k has a 2.8L thats has 210hp and then they have a 3.6L 255hp option. it also looks alot better then the Lincoln. how can they compete against this. the only people who will drive this Lincoln are workers who gets discounts and retirees from ford who gets discounts.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

the CTS which starts under 30k has a 2.8L thats has 210hp and then they have a 3.6L 255hp option. it also looks alot better then the Lincoln. how can they compete against this. the only people who will drive this Lincoln are workers who gets discounts and retirees from ford who gets discounts.
Yeah, and that is why Ford is having problems. They need to offer something that makes people outside the Ford work force interested, and even some of those people don't buy Ford products either. What does that tell you about the appeal to their cars and trucks.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:54 PM
VulnoX
Professional

Man someone is really hard on a car they know nothing about.

For one thing, and I skipped a few responses so sorry if it was mentioned, starting next year they are introducing a 3.5L engine for the Lincoln, and I think the rest of the line.

Also, I dont want to hear that they should have introduced it first, because I seem to remember, and still see, things like Dodge putting out the 2002 Ram, and not having the Hemi for a year or two, and that truck was underpowered compared to Ford and GM's lineup at the time. Also, look at the Caliber, that size car and the only way to get a decent engine to move it is to go to the R/T version? Even then it just matches up to the Lincoln's engine, while the Lincoln slaughters it in gas mileage.

It just seems to me you are hating it just to hate something that is not Dodge. The car is nice as hell, and the interior options and fun stuff like the navigation system and all that are there, which puts it on par with other vehicles in its price range.

I drove a 2006 Ford Fusion in to work today, and have to tell you that is one of the most solid feeling, powerful (even with the I-4 it barks through second and even third if you move her right) and comfortable vehicle I have ever been in.

Now dont give me any crap like I am a Ford only boy or something, especially since I have an order in for a 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T, which is why I commented on Dodge's choices for engines and all that. Dodge/Chrysler is anything but flawless, and the entire Fusion based lineup is VERY nice, if I had the money for them I would get one in a second over the Caliber or any other Dodge/Chrysler offering short of a 300 Hemi. But, the Caliber is priced right, has AWD which is something I cant get on the Ford models until next year at least, and has more cargo room in the end, so thats what I chose. I did not choose it for its engine though, I chose it only for price.

Next year the Fusion lineup (Mercury, Ford, and Lincoln) are supposed to get the 3.5, AWD, and more. You dont offer all the options up front, or nobody would buy the vehicles in a year or two since everyone that wanted one would have one.

Search this Thread