Pontiac G8, Charger competition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
darkus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac G8, Charger competition?

Just came across this car on a blog, they say its based on the holden commodore and will have some serious power. Is this going to be some competition from the general? I stil think the SRT will thumb this

http://www.g8power.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9

Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Default RE: Pontiac G8, Charger competition?

BMW look-alike... WEAK!!!! Well, I dont like Pontiac so I'm gonna say it's ugly. But then again, the only good looking Pontiac is the GTO. The rest are ugly (to me). Too much hype I believe. Well, I do hope that the SRT can man-handle that sucker too!

EDIT:I don't think it will sell good either. It is a GM line of car. GM is going down the hole same as FORD. DC is the only company, so far, to not start going down the hole yet. God forbid they do.

EDIT #2: http://www.g8power.com/forums/showth...hp?p=67#post67

Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

so they redid the gto?

Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would rather buy a charger with a bomb in the trunk...and hope that it doesnt go off...

Old 01-30-2007, 06:43 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HighDuke1911

BMW look-alike... WEAK!!!! Well, I dont like Pontiac so I'm gonna say it's ugly. But then again, the only good looking Pontiac is the GTO. The rest are ugly (to me). Too much hype I believe. Well, I do hope that the SRT can man-handle that sucker too!

EDIT:I don't think it will sell good either. It is a GM line of car. GM is going down the hole same as FORD. DC is the only company, so far, to not start going down the hole yet. God forbid they do.

EDIT #2: http://www.g8power.com/forums/showth...hp?p=67#post67

First of this is just the front clip. Wait till you see the whole car before you cast judgement. From the info I have seen dcx should be very nervous.

DC not going down the hole? Where have you been? DC has another "turnaround" plan coming in Feb. More buyouts and layoffs due to the fact we are losing money like its going out of style. The general has turned the corner and is going in the right direction. Ford well eh... thats another story.

Yes Nick the gto will come back, but it will be based off of the new camaro platform. In the next few years all pontiacs, except the gto will be named g... the grand prix will be the g7.

Joe

Old 01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

For starters, the G8 will replace the Grand Prix in Pontiac's lineup. The G6 is currently their midsize car, and the G8 will be their fullsize sedan. This is coming from everything I can find from Pontiac and GM. This could still change.

This car is actually already in production in Australia. It's called the Holden Commodore and would be ported over to the USA like the previous GTO was. Unlike the GTO however, this car will actually sell much better. Why? Simply put, RWD & V8. We all know that for all the diehard MOPARS, there are diehard GM people. This car will only serve to help rekindle a RWD sedan war.

As for should DCX be worried? I would be. And here's a few reasons why I'd be worried....

1.) It's a RWD sedan that will eat into the market that the LX cars have.
2.) It will have a 400hp LS2 V8 (the same motor in the Corvette & soon to be released Camaro)
(in Aussie land, the motor does 362hp/390ftlbs of torque)
3.) The mod market for the LS series motors is extensive.....not to mention powerful
4.) This car will be lighter then the LX lineup, providing the ability to makeup the 25hp difference between the SRT-8 and this most likely badged G8 SS if you will....no doubt it wont be called the SS, but you get the idea
5.) This is the biggest reason.... a 6 speed manual tranny or automatic.....that alone will sell it big time.....something DCX is seriously lacking in the LX cars....

Maybe it emulates a BMW, big deal. The Chrysler 300 borrows a lot of Mercedes styling as does the Crossfire. The reality is, anytime someone gets a good idea, other companies copy it to a various degree. GM, DCX, Ford, and others have all done it, so dont argue that.

I see this car as being a big deal. Not only is it serious competition in the RWD sedan department, but could easily supplant the LX line as the fastest sedan being built today in the USA....

As a teaser, here's the V8 powered Holden version - Commodore SS-V of which will eventually become the G8
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/..._commodore.asp

Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i like the older commodores better...early 2000s...that one looks like an altima to me. i like the GTO alot better.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

i like the older commodores better...early 2000s...that one looks like an altima to me. i like the GTO alot better.
I like the Monaro version better then the GTO....but I'd still take this over the current Grand Prix....****...give me an LS2 powered RWD sedan and I'll call it a day.

That said, imagine a 400hp RWD sedan for under 37k....because I dont expect this one to be as expensive as an SRT-8....GM will try to undercut them to get the sales...and we already know the LS2 can be turbo'd and supercharged with no problem....

Old 01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

but keep in mind how much the GTO costs...at least when they were new...they were pretty expensive. and gm cant afford to give consumers any deals...

as for the GTO, i prefer the vauxhall monaro VXR...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/F4C357F8738A4E79A87D1A3F1E74DB42.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2007, 05:41 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

but keep in mind how much the GTO costs...at least when they were new...they were pretty expensive. and gm cant afford to give consumers any deals...

as for the GTO, i prefer the vauxhall monaro VXR...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/F4C357F8738A4E79A87D1A3F1E74DB42.jpg[/IMG]
Excellent points! GM is definitely hurting in the pockets right now, but let's be honest....it's not because of sports cars. It's simply they're trying to carry too many dead weight car brands/car lineups. They need to toss off a few car brands or sell them off and stop taking losses on crap like the Hummer, Saturn, and so forth.....

That said, the GTO is a very bad example to use. The car suffered from the get go of not being what consumers wanted, and had a stigma of being an overpriced Grand-Am. Not exactly good selling material. Same thing happened with our Stratus coupes to be honest....maybe had they maintained a Dodge Avenger name they may have sold better....maybe not.

More to the point, I think GM realized they were going to have to drop the price to make it reasonable anyhow. For 38-40k, you could practically buy a new or slightly used Corvette, so why would you buy a GTO? It only made sense for them to bring the price down.

The Vauxhall Monaro VXR is a sweet *** ride....and it's the Monaro I like. There's a guy here in a GTO club that has the VXR kit on his GTO. Looks fantastic.

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8, Charger competition?