Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

PONTIAC Grand Am VS NEON

Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PONTIAC Grand Am VS NEON

well...like ive said before.....i didnt know when i would get a chance to send it out

Old 09-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Slashwannabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After getting my timing belt replaced I feel as if my mods are working such as header and Thorttlebody spacer. I smoked a 5 speed Saturn just now on my way back from Mc Donalds for coffee and it is raining out right now and I didnt catch traction till about 35mph I was able to light the tires up that easy on the wet pavment while the saturns traction control was helping him not spin....lol I still ate him off the line while my car was peeling out on the wet pavment...lol

Before the belt replacmentit seemed as if my power band was 2500 Rpm to 6,000 Rpm but now it is idle to 6,000 Rpm till I get the mopar PCM then it will be idle to 6,100 Rpm+. I must admit though after 3,000 Rpm the thing flys like a Rocket.

Here's what it boils down to...

My Sister has a 1997 Grand Am SEwith a Quad 4 and my brother has a 96 Grand Am SEwith a 3.4 liter V-6, I've driven both and I can safely say the Quad 4 is no slouch compared to the V-6 infact I think theres only like 10hp difference between the 2 engines and the way my car is running right now I'd probably have a great chance to be neck and neck or higher against either the Quad 4 or V-6 equiped Grand Am, I know if I can start the race at 3,000Rpm in first gear I got the race won but I'm feeling more and more confident in my new found low end powerto try a off the line race against either my Bro or Sis. I think anyone who has a 5 speed should win this race without a doubt.

I've did somewhat of a race against my sisters Quad 4 Grand Am while starting at 35mph and when I wound it up to about 50mph I had a fender length lead and I started toopen a bigger gap till we seen a state trooper and shut our cars down before he could nail us. Her Grand Am has ***** and I respect that car but soemthing about my Neon justmakes it seem to be an animal waiting to be un-caged.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:11 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Hate to tell you this, but the 3.4L V6 wasnt offered in the Grand Am until after 98......you are most likely confusing it with the 3.3L V6....which was offered in the Grand Am.....

In fact, prior to 99, the only cars I know of that received the 3.4L V6 motor were the Lumina LTZ/Monte Carlo Z34/Camaro/Firebird & Cutlass Supreme...and Grand Prix...

These were all high end performance models as well (excluding the Firebird/Camaro) so this wasnt a base model motor...

Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

And to add, I'm very familiar with these particular cars as I owned a Beretta Z26, I currently own a Grand Prix GTP Comp G, and I've ran in several forums and clubs that support these 3.1/3.4/3.8 cars...

Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Slashwannabe

My BAD SORRY.

You jogged my Memory its the 3.1 V-6 that isin my brothers Grand Am, everybodys talking about the 3.4s soI got confused. Its a 1996 Grand Am SE with a V-6 its all original so I'm pretty sure its the 3.1. Its got power I think its the same engine in the Olds Alero.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

It's okay, I just didnt want someone to trash you for being wrong. The 3.1 wasnt a bad motor, around 150hp or so....and the coupes were particularly light, so they would run very well with the Neons...

Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

It's okay, I just didnt want someone to trash you for being wrong. The 3.1 wasnt a bad motor, around 150hp or so....and the coupes were particularly light, so they would run very well with the Neons...
Thanks for correcting me : ) I messed up yesterday whenI went to Auto Zone with my sister when I was supposed to Identify my sisters husbands engine in his cavalier so she could buy a part,I said it was a 2.2 and my sister argued with me and said it was a 2.3 and she was right ....lol GM throws me a loop with their engine sizes,but the 2.2 and 2.3 are pretty much the same engine.

As you were saying that motor has 150hp,Thats probably why the Quad 4 seems to keep up with it so well? The 2.4 LiterQuad 4 is listed as having 155hp I'd assume with my mods I'm pushing close to 150hp with my SOHCas well.

Those Grand Ams have a real nice low first gear, at like 6,000 Rpm they are doing 30mph as with my Neon's automatic tranny in first gear at 6,000 Rpm I'm doing 60mph and I have only a 3 speed auto trans and the Grand Ams I beleive have 4 speed auto's.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
blondiez24
Rookie

yea the 3.1s are fast. I have one in my z24. I have a few upgrades on it though. It will do a high 14 sec 1/4 mile. 14.96 at 93 mphthats what I got. They weigh around 2600 pounds, and with my upgrades I estimate it to be around 170 horsepower. Maybe a tad more. Just useing a butt dyno, andguessing what it was stock compared to now. I port and polished the cylinder heads, ls6 valve springs, crane 260 cam. Underdrive pulley, 62mm throttlebody, cold air intake, msd coil packs, taylor thundervolt 8.2mm wires, 2 1/4 inch mandrel bent pipe to a flowmaster 80 series, and a performance chip. Its pretty fast.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Leonheart17240
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ther turds.... last night i was in my JEEP and a z 24 cavi wanted to race, after he ask me 3 time to race him, me in a lifted 4 banger jeep... and then told me im a puss because i told him no, wtf ok i said, we ran like 4 blocks and he only pulled on me by a 1/2 car.... in my neon they dont come within 3 cars (guy in the local car club has 2) both are SLOW

Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

yes the cavalier might be slow but anything can be fast with the right amount of money and time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PONTIAC Grand Am VS NEON