Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Track time on friday....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:45 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Track time on friday....

when do you plan on boosting your car 04?

Old 07-08-2004, 02:58 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

when do you plan on boosting your car 04?
Dunno exactly, I need to talk to my friend/mechanic and plan out what I'm doing to it. That's why I haven't gotten too mod crazy yet. Probably hook it up in the spring, all depends on what we decide to do with it. Anyhow, I will keep everyone posted on what I plan on doing when I figure it out a little better and how I do this friday.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:08 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

But hopefully I will reach my goal of anything in the 15 second range. I have friends coming to watch, so maybe my car will be extra peppy for them. I know it can get into the 15's second range its just a matter of whether my tires grip, if I can launch it or not, and if my shifts are good. I wasn't that good shifting with the stock shifter, I'm much better now that I have the mopar STS, lot better at wide open throttle. Its supposed to be a nice day on friday too, just a shade under 80 degrees. And I'll beat that cougar too while I'm at it.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:18 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you shift, how exactly do you do it? If you do like most and let off the throttle, like you would in every day driving, as you change gears, don't. If your runs are getting you close, but not into the 15's, you can kill the extra time by doing WOT shifts. This is very hard on the clutch, but it can get you that one great run that your looking for. Make as many passes as you can before doing it this way, if you don't already do it this way, to get back into how to launch it and all. Once you feel comfortable with everything, then try WOT shifting. I have only done this myself two or three times on the street in my Shelby Z, and I wasn't racing anyone either of these times, I just wanted to see what kind of a difference it would make. Let me just say [sm=smiley3.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley3.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley3.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]. It made a HUGE!!!!!!!!! difference. But God help you if you do any part of it wrong, like letting off of the clutch before it is fully engaged.[sm=smiley35.gif][sm=smiley7.gif][sm=smiley19.gif]

Since you are potentially looking to turbocharge it and you don't want to waste money on mods that will be tossed aside when you do this, go for the supporting mods. The Neons are known for weak clutches that can/will slip after just a few good mods, at WOT. Get a really good clutch and flywheel combo. A Centerforce dual friction clutch with an Unorthodox Racing aluminium light weight flywheel with steel insert would be great, this would change it to a typical style clutch instead of the factory modular unit. You will need to do this when you go turbo anyway, this or a good aftermarket modular unit.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 07-08-2004, 05:24 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yeah, I know what you're saying. When I'm at the dragstrip I don't shift it like I do when I'm on the street. I should almost be able to just hold the gas mashed to the floor and shift without letting off it. I can't quite do that yet, but I'm better now. Haven't mis-shifted yet. Lets hope I don't either.[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 07-08-2004, 06:59 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something else that might help is a tire spray that is supose to aid traction. I cannot recall the name of it, but I'm pretty sure any speed shop should carry it. I have no idea if it works or not, but it might be worth a shot if you can find it.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

VHT Trackbite...ive used it, and its some NASTY stuff...VERY sticky...

Old 07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Do they put that stuff on the actual track(eh, nevermind, I don't read very close)? Because last time I was there they put something down and it was sticky, I remember when I was just rolling up to stage I could hear almost like a crackle.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:44 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

yes...a good track will put VHT down, usually to the 60' mark. vht is usually intended for cars that cant do a burnout. if you do a burnout, it spins most of it back off. when i used it, i would pull around the water box,

Old 07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

No burnouts for me, I just drive around the water box.

Quick Reply: Track time on friday....