Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Track time on friday....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:41 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track time on friday....

Yay, goin to track on friday night to see if I can reach my summer goal of getting into the very high 15s. I will be at Mid Michigan Motoplex (stanton, Mi) if anyone is nearby and wants to go. I should be out there with some buddies, probably with a couple of WRX's, Cougar, maybe a couple other cars. I look forward to scarin the **** out my buddy that has the cougar, he fears losing to my neon because then he'll be the slowest of bunch. I am hopin to break into the very high 15's. Its gonna take a hella good launch and some good shifting, but I think I can do it. I think i need to pull a 2.1 or 2.0 60ft to have a chance, my best so far was a 2.2 60ft so I should be able to do it. Just going to start launchin at about 3500-4000 and work my way up if I don't hit it. I should be able to definitely do it if I can piece my intake together, right now I'm running more of a short ram intake, actually more of a hot air intake. Well whatever you want to call it, it kicks the stock air boxes @ss everywhere except down low.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:59 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Track time on friday....

hey, from what ive seen, if you can run a high 15, you should beat the cougar. ive seen some of them with the 5 speed V6 run as poorly as high 16s. with the autos running about a second slower. when i ran my RT all the time, i concerned myself with cars like those, that i consider to be in my class of cars. but give 'em hell!!

i will also be going to the track this friday, running street wars, so il be running with the mufflers for the first time this season. im hoping to still 12.80s with the mufflers.

but more importantly, BEAT THAT COUGAR!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 02:07 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Well I technically have already beat the cougar. But it was not my friend who owns it and drives it daily. It was another of our friends driving it and he lost to me. I so smoked him bad off the line. But if he drives the cougar good he's good for mid 15s which I'm pretty certain I will come nowhere close to. Yes, I will beat the cougar with less mods than he's done, ahahaha. I more want the 15s at least once because I think its fully capable of it (i think it could of come close to 16 stock, only ran it twice stock though with the first time being my first time drag racing ever), but beating him would still make the day.

Old 07-07-2004, 02:56 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wheel/tire combo are you running at the track? This can help make or break you.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:06 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and what tire pressure?
the one fastest SRT4 at my home track is running the stock gforce's, with like 12 psi. with stage 0 and a stiffer waste gate spring, shes running 13.90s, but i know her tire pressure dorp helped ALOT. the ret of the SRT4s are embarrasing..all running mid to low 14s. i dont think ive seen any o them get a 13s run.

and mid 15s for a stock cougar? thats pretty fast...there are 2 brothers who run twin cougars, and theirs are completely gutted out, with exhaust, intake, i dont know what else, and they are only running mid to low 15s.

regardless, best of luck and keep us posted!

Old 07-07-2004, 03:07 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Just my stock 15" goodyears, yah I know it can make/break me but that is all I got right now. I know they aren't that good for this kind of thing because if there is any moisture on them I spin the tires all the way until I hit 3rd gear, its pretty impressive actually, but then I remember "oh yeah the tires are wet and no I don't have that much power." LOL. And last time I went to the track, back in may, I didn't have traction issues really so hopefully it goes the same now. What tire pressure works the best???

The cougar is not stock. If he was stock I would probably beat him no problem. He has intake, SVT upper intake mani, SVT throttle body, short throw shifter, exhaust, and maybe more but thats all I can think of right now.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:43 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I hear everyone to say to lower the tire pressure, but everything I've read says to increase tire pressure with a normal street tire. They say that they grip and respond better to higher pressures. I do know that the higher the tire pressure the less rolling resistance that there is. I have not had sufficient track time to say one way or another, or to have tested this, but that is what I have always read. Obviously lower is best for slicks though.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:51 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yeah well I'm curious to see what kind of traction I'm going to get. I seem to chirp the tires more than usual lately without trying to, so I think I wore off the grippy part of the tire (if these tires had a grippy part to begin with). But I always seem to get better traction at the track then on the street, a little wheelspin is good for me at the track. If I don't screech the wheels good off the line that means I didn't launch it hard enough!! Then I pull 2.4 or 2.5 60fts which doesn't get me the times I want. I had just gotten my launches down the last time I went, so hopefully I didn't forget how to do it.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:57 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

hey, from what ive seen, if you can run a high 15, you should beat the cougar. ive seen some of them with the 5 speed V6 run as poorly as high 16s. with the autos running about a second slower. when i ran my RT all the time, i concerned myself with cars like those, that i consider to be in my class of cars. but give 'em hell!!

i will also be going to the track this friday, running street wars, so il be running with the mufflers for the first time this season. im hoping to still 12.80s with the mufflers.

but more importantly, BEAT THAT COUGAR!!!

Yup, I have run a modded cougar that was auto, I walked all over it. SOHC 4 banger beats on the DOHC V6, whats wrong with that picture.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:12 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Nothing is wrong with that picture at all, a smaller Mopar engine beating up on a larger Ford engine, that seems to be right.[sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley14.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Track time on friday....