Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Why has Nascar become such a joke?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:09 AM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why has Nascar become such a joke?

I blame Bill France.........

Old 10-15-2006, 01:23 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Why has Nascar become such a joke?

I used to watch every race, but I totally missed the one tonight. I dunno, it's not like it used to be and sure as heck isn't as much fun to watch. They need to put a camera on the crowd, I might watch that one.........I guess big business has taken over. Too bad.......it was fun while it lasted.........

Dusty

Old 10-15-2006, 02:04 AM
jakebrake
Champion

It's all about the money, you wanna see racing, go watch dirt track.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:09 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I agree 100%, local races are more exciting, plus you get the noise, smells, and the snack bar, not to mention the real life babes..........

Dusty

Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 AM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

I used to race at the pro level in the 80's
What is going on today really irks me.........

Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to love watching NASCAR and i would never miss a race... but this year... i've watched less than 40% of the races... its just not the same... and i've found myself watching the races like the WRC Rally and SCCA Pro Touring and such... and my favorite the Dakar Rally ahhh beautiful ah hem anyways lol... Nascar is just going down the tubes... even though its still growing and all that crap...its all about the appearence of the driver and such whereas before it was oh he can race and handle a car purdy good lets put him in... its yea

Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
52b3b108
Veteran

I am still a die hard NASCAR fan and love any other kinds of racing. The way I maintain my level of enjoyment is by not having a favorite driver that I'm loyal to. During the course of a race I cheer for many different drivers. Now that I'm in that old-timer age catagory with Rusty Wallace and Ken Schrader I cheer for sentimental favorites, such as Ken, to at least do well if not win. If I limit myself to just being a Junior, Gordon, or Petty fan, then I'm going to stand a bigger chance of being upset because I'm concentrating so hard on my driver and not seeing all of the other little races going on within the big race. IMO

With the way technology has expanded with cable, satellite, etc. the competition for the market share will only continue to increase.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I used to be a Davey Allison fan as a child.....I remember watchin the black 28 and just having a ball. When he died....I quit watching racing....and it wasnt until I caught a race that Gordon was running in that I started watching it again. At the time, he was an adopted Hoosier and that was someone I could root for. This was before he was the 4-time Champ...and the only thing he had done at that point was be Rookie of the Year.

As for what's happening now....alot of it has to do with two things..... progression & greed.

Let's face it....you knew the sport wasnt going to stay the same as it was 20 years ago. It cant. Not after all the injuries and deaths to major stars or up and coming ones. Look at football and basketball, hell even hockey was forced to change and adapt. Some people complained about it...others were happy about it....and some were on the fence liking some of it and hating some of it. Racing was going to have to accept it and move on. It happens all the time....

As for greed...well that comes with anything that you want to make money in....and quite frankly...the only real complaint I have about this is is the amount of dumbass commercials I have to watch just to see 5 laps of racing.....

Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, there are so many caution flags during a typical Bush Series race that I usually only watch the last few laps.......and that can STILL take a half hour!!!!!

Dusty

Old 11-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Ramcharger1987
Amateur

Why has NASCAR became a joke:

1. Toyota in Nascar
2. NICE-Car atitude
3. Car of Tomorrow, they all look like all the same rice rockets
4. Nascar's pollitically correct behavior- Derrick Cope couldnt run a sponser known as RedneckJunk.com a few years back because Nascar said it brought a "wrong image" to the sport. Last time I checked, rednecks bought the tickets to the events.
5. The list can go on, but I wanna get to bed soon...

Quick Reply: Why has Nascar become such a joke?