Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Turn Signals, Hazards, Brake Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Kirk Kenshalo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the problem with no turn signals and no hazard lights and no brake lights turned out to be the fuses were dirty under the hood in the fuse box clean them turns out the fuse box under the hood is cracked when applying pressure to the fuses for stop lights and hazard lights they work so check the fuses and check to see if the contacts are clean mine works now

Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Kirk Kenshalo

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 had no brake lights and no turn signals and no brake lights I replace the multifunction switch brand-new did not work! I change the blinker fuse did not work it turned out to be the fuses or not making contact in the box under the hood I wiggled them while they were on and they started working

Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Sabrina Wiget
Default Hey

Have you found out what it was?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Kevin Hueser
Default Signal lights/hazards and initially no brake lights...problem found

So I found the reason that my signal lights/hazards mysteriously just quit one day. What a brain teaser.
I changed all the bulbs, replaced the good fuses, wiggled all the connections, replaced the combo flasher and finally replaced the fairly expensive multi switch on the steering column.
None of which fixed the problem.
Finally after oogles of hours tracing lines a grounds and such I found the problem to be IN the socket where the combo flasher plugs into. Looking at the socket from the front, the left vertical slot is supposed to have continuous power to it. It activates the internal timer module inside the combo flasher.
When I use a jumper and supply 12v to that socket the flashers function properly in both signal mode and hazard mode. On the back of this fuse box I ran a continuity test and found that this socket of the combo flasher that is supposed to be hot is showing continuity to a black wire with a white stripe and this wire is testing as a ground. I don't know if this black wire w/white stripe is supposed to be a ground or its supposed to be hot and is now a ground. It doesn't look like the fuse panel can be disassembled to see if the problem lies inside or not and If I could get it back together and all the other fuses working properly so ...not gonna go there.
Im leaving in a few days on a 7000+ mile cross country road trip, coast to coast and then some and I don't wanna open another can of worms. Tomorrow I may clip that black and white white and see what if anything in the fuse box is affected. If nothing is affected I will run a new power source via a jumper and in line fuse to bypass the unknown failure up in the dash where this Bk/at wire goes.
If there is a problem with this wire being cut I will reconnect it and make jumpers and connect the entire flasher via jumpers and bypass the problem socket. It's not a perfect fix but I goota roll shortly and have already spent a week sorting this out. Last year my headlights just stopped working one day.
After replacing the switch and tracing everything it turned out that power just wasn't getting to the switch so I ran a jumper to the switch with an inline fuse and it's been fine since.

Oh yea, BTW I didn't have brake lights either at first. After I replaced the multi switch I did have brake lights but still no hazards or signals, that includes no turn signal or hazard lights on dash either. The hazard part of the combo switch was sticking and works but would finally go into and stay in hazard mode after 5-10 presses..not working properly... So replacing the multi switch wasn't can waste.
Coincidence??? Hmmm!

​​​​​​​Anyway, that's what I found maybe it will help someone else to get their signal lights/hazards working again.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:07 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I hooked up to a trailer and lost my rear turn/brake lights and no lights to the trailer. After spending 2 hours chasing wires I searched this thread. It was the hazzard light button. WD-40 fixed it.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Joebunaga

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L, which has the same issue. No turns, brake or hazards, no clicking from turns and no idiot lights on dash..
Previous to this I was having problems with the ignition. Trouble lights were randomly staying on at startup. I replaced the ignition switch and everything worked fine for about 3 weeks, and then the above situation occurred.
In no particular order I checked the fuses, pulled the front and rear lights and confirmed the bulb filaments looked good and contacts seemed ok, swapped out the turn signal switch relay, removed the steering wheel cowling and changed out the multifunction switch.
No joy.
Started over this morning, so far:
1. Pulled fuses and tested. All associated with lights appeared good. Reseated and tested. Fuse box didn't show cracks or dirt built up anywhere.
2. Replaced new signal relay with old and tested.
3. Replaced new multifunction with old and tested.
4.Tried WD40 on hazards trick and tested.
5. Put tilt wheel through range of motion and visually checked wiring for breaks. Then put tilt through range again, testing at each position.
No joy, so taking a break.
Next:
Inspect bulbs and connectors again.
Start going over trailer wiring.
Pull wheel and look at wiring harness.
Haul it to shop...

Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Joebunaga

Update:
6. Inspected and tested lights and connectors, everything ok there.
7. Inspected trailer wiring... someone had split the original 5pt trailer harness and added a 4pt trailer harness(I guess to haul either) and had done a "jury-rigged" job. Lots of poorly spliced and exposed wire, a turn signal wire that was disconnected and sitting up on the interior of the metal bumper. It was hard on the eyes... I didn't want to get into redoing the whole thing, so I rewrapped/connected and tied up all the wiring. Tested, still no joy.

Then the bonehead lamp went off.
I hadn't checked the fuses in the main breaker box of the engine compartment. Found the fuses for signal and backup both burned out. Replaced, and BOOYAH! Everything is back to working.
Might've just been the fuses, might've been the grounding on the trailer harness caused the blown fuses. Don't know, don't care. Adding rewiring the trailer harness to my list of truck to-dos.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Joebunaga
Update:
6. Inspected and tested lights and connectors, everything ok there.
7. Inspected trailer wiring... someone had split the original 5pt trailer harness and added a 4pt trailer harness(I guess to haul either) and had done a "jury-rigged" job. Lots of poorly spliced and exposed wire, a turn signal wire that was disconnected and sitting up on the interior of the metal bumper. It was hard on the eyes... I didn't want to get into redoing the whole thing, so I rewrapped/connected and tied up all the wiring. Tested, still no joy.

Then the bonehead lamp went off.
I hadn't checked the fuses in the main breaker box of the engine compartment. Found the fuses for signal and backup both burned out. Replaced, and BOOYAH! Everything is back to working.
Might've just been the fuses, might've been the grounding on the trailer harness caused the blown fuses. Don't know, don't care. Adding rewiring the trailer harness to my list of truck to-dos.
Likely the crappy wiring job in the rear is what blew out the fuses. So, cleaning that up, and changing the fuses did the job. At least it works now.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Joebunaga

Well, hopefully, this will be my final comment on this one.
After getting everything back up and running I test drove and caught the ozone whiff of something electrical overheating. It came and went, and came and went. I should've checked to see if it was happening when I was stopped and signalling to turn, but I didn't have that kind of foresight.
Later that night I Googled the Hell out of the problem and went down the rabbit hole of Dodge hazard indicator complaints. I'd tried the WD40 trick of spraying the button and working it, but I came across a video of guy who literally was playing whack-a-mole with that button. Since I'd left the original multifunction switch reinstalled, I decided to go animal mode on that button. Which I did... and it felt good.
That was 2 days ago and I no longer seem to have a problem. I'm chalking it up as a potentially bad multifunction switch with definite crud in the hazard switch.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Joebunaga
Well, hopefully, this will be my final comment on this one.
After getting everything back up and running I test drove and caught the ozone whiff of something electrical overheating. It came and went, and came and went. I should've checked to see if it was happening when I was stopped and signalling to turn, but I didn't have that kind of foresight.
Later that night I Googled the Hell out of the problem and went down the rabbit hole of Dodge hazard indicator complaints. I'd tried the WD40 trick of spraying the button and working it, but I came across a video of guy who literally was playing whack-a-mole with that button. Since I'd left the original multifunction switch reinstalled, I decided to go animal mode on that button. Which I did... and it felt good.
That was 2 days ago and I no longer seem to have a problem. I'm chalking it up as a potentially bad multifunction switch with definite crud in the hazard switch.
Well, hopefully it's fixed, and you can just drive and enjoy. Love your description though.... definitely got me chuckling this morning.

Quick Reply: Turn Signals, Hazards, Brake Lights not working