Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

88 Ramcharger rebuild problema and Qs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:01 AM
CJR345
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Ramcharger rebuild problema and Qs.

Currently rebuilding an 88 Ramcharger have taken the front down to the frame and the windshield and dash out. But had questions on how to take the rear windows and rear window trim put with out breaking or messing it up. Also would like to know if there is a good way to get an after market riveted roof rack out without loosing the backside of the rivets in the roof.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by CJR345
Currently rebuilding an 88 Ramcharger have taken the front down to the frame and the windshield and dash out. But had questions on how to take the rear windows and rear window trim put with out breaking or messing it up. Also would like to know if there is a good way to get an after market riveted roof rack out without loosing the backside of the rivets in the roof.

It's been a while since I worked on a Ramcharger. Add in they changed so much on the same basic package over the years, you'll need to post some pictures. The side windows might be glued in or they may have the rubber gaskets. The rivets will be destroyed when you remove them.

Take some pictures of what you're working on. Close enough to show the part but far enough away to show perspective. Also tell us if you're restoring or just making it usable and nice.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:57 AM
CJR345
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
It's been a while since I worked on a Ramcharger. Add in they changed so much on the same basic package over the years, you'll need to post some pictures. The side windows might be glued in or they may have the rubber gaskets. The rivets will be destroyed when you remove them.

Take some pictures of what you're working on. Close enough to show the part but far enough away to show perspective. Also tell us if you're restoring or just making it usable and nice.
Got the roof rack off with the help of a local friend I am planning on making it look really nice and usable not really a restoration. I was wondering weather a 4 inch or 2 inch lift kit would be better for looks slash utility. I would like to put 35s on it and was wondering what the minimum lift would have to be to allow turning without the tires hitting the front wells.

​​​​​

Old 08-04-2023, 04:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

For 35's? I would go 4 inch, at least. Might consider a drop pitman arm as well.

The following users liked this post:
540valiant (08-14-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 04:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by CJR345
Got the roof rack off with the help of a local friend I am planning on making it look really nice and usable not really a restoration. I was wondering weather a 4 inch or 2 inch lift kit would be better for looks slash utility. I would like to put 35s on it and was wondering what the minimum lift would have to be to allow turning without the tires hitting the front wells.

​​​​​

I ran 33's on my '84 W150 but to go with 35's, a 2 inch lift and maybe wheels with the off set sitting out a little farther so they don't rub at full lock. If you wan to get some BIG tires, you might want to go ths route.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:57 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

That's what they do on road kill!

Old 08-05-2023, 12:05 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
That's what they do on road kill!

Earlier this year my cable company changed hands and I ended up losing a bunch of channels I liked but I did gain Motortrend. I had never heard of Roadkill but I'mm working my way through older shows being repeated. Lots of other good shows for a gear head like me.

On the other hand, when I ran a salvage yard, we did things like that because we had the parts on hand.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

And some bad ones. They have a show now witch is mostly ricers. I don't watch it or the show with the guy that has the hat on all the time. Not to mention bitchin rides, Looking at that stupid Egyptian beard gets annoying real fast.

Old 08-06-2023, 04:12 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
And some bad ones. They have a show now witch is mostly ricers. I don't watch it or the show with the guy that has the hat on all the time. Not to mention bitchin rides, Looking at that stupid Egyptian beard gets annoying real fast.

There are some shows I saw that I liked. There are some I watched, but like you said, weren't much good although for people who drive ricers, they might be good. A couple have grown on me. I'll admit there are some shows that got old quick. Slamming every car or truck to the ground with huge wheels ans skinny rubber got old QUICK! Around here those cars just don't work. I go down roads that you know they are roads for the lack of large trees.

I saw where Louisiana police are cracking down on the "Carolina Squat" trucks and SUVs. There were a few around here but I followed one truck through a road paving area and he caught his bumper and trailer hitch on a manhole cover tube where the pavement had been ground down. Nearly tore them off the back.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Occasionally i get stuck behind some lowered ricer(with the wheels tilted in at the top) that has to nearly stop at every bump in the road. And around here they don't fix anything just put patches over it. So they drive like 20 mph top speed. If you are going to lower a vehicle do it the right way and not sitting on the bump stops. Saw a T bucket yesterday and where he was driving there is a bump(a seem that has lifted up) and the whole back went air borne. My tax dollars NOT at work.

Quick Reply: 88 Ramcharger rebuild problema and Qs.