2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel sync question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:28 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel sync question

Google led me to a great write up on setting the fuel sync, but I have a question.

What specifically is different in setting this on a magnum, that I could point out to someone to ensure they do? In other words, I have mechanics that can do timing, etc, all day, but this write up seems to tell me magnums have an extra step, but I can't seem to follow it.

Being in central america, i don't want to just give them the write up in english. Thanks.

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Cams...uel%20Sync.pdf

Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel sync is usually set with scanners like the snap-on mt2500 scanners. But I came across this write up in Howe you could possible do it without these scan tools. You may even be able to do it yourself at home. It's in the first gen Dakotas, but I'm pretty sure it will still work for our rams. Personally I'd give it a try before I take it anywhere.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...can-tools.html

Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

#1 cylinder at TDC

Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

There is a mark on the block you need to line up as well. Nice pics in the service manual.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
nicraage
Professional

in park and neutral the motor runs great, and when I hit the gas it reacts and sounds perfect. Once I'm in gear full throttle feels like half throttle, and I feel like I towing with a 4 cyl. I've had this issue for years.

I have one of the tuners here doing a tune, he said the scans and vacuum numbers look like a fuel issue and he suggests I test my fuel pressure under load, which I will be doing this weekend.

Is it possible for fuel pressure to drop while driving, but not while revving in neutral?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yup, in neutral, there is no load, so it really doesn't take much to spin the engine to redline. Under load.... all that changes. It's possible that at idle, pressure is fine, but, when the engine starts demanding more volume, the pump simply can't keep up.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:47 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a dyno close by? You could get it up to speed and still climb in the engine compartment to check things out.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:18 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Got a dyno close by? You could get it up to speed and still climb in the engine compartment to check things out.
Closest one is in another country, lol. I'm in Honduras, and they have one in El Salvador, lol.
I am having one of the guys here make a custom tune for me using an STC.

The more I read, the more I am excited to test the fuel pressure while driving. I'm having someone make a a fuel line that can reach my cab and hopefully I can test tomorrow. I will be happy as can be if the fuel pressure drops while driving.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't run the fuel line into the cab. Just tape the gauge to the windshield. Having fuel coming into the cab is dangerous, and illegal in most countries. One leak could lead to disaster, and we like having you around.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:06 AM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't run the fuel line into the cab. Just tape the gauge to the windshield. Having fuel coming into the cab is dangerous, and illegal in most countries. One leak could lead to disaster, and we like having you around.
Good idea, thanks.