3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

SAS 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SAS 3rd gen

Hey all, I saw this guy on another forum a while back but that forum is totally dead now. He did a solid axle swap and changed to a 6 lug. He added a leaf and trimmed his fenders for the rear.

http://www.dakotausa.com/vBulletin/s...Axle-07-Dakota

Wish he'd jump on our forum and share his secrets for all you 4x4 guys.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats ****ing awesome. Don't think I ever saw one like it

Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 PM
peoples1234
Rookie

It will look sweet when it is done.

I, however, could never do something halfway like that. It would drive me crazy to ride around with the back dragging. I'd save up enough to do both ends before I started, but I still give respect for the undertaking he must have gone through to swap it all out.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:19 PM
rebel4055
Veteran

That looks sick!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

that's a very old pic. this was brought up a year or so ago

Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

There are alot of trucks like that in Cali. They do the desert runs and the front is suppose to be like that for entry height. When I first saw these trucks there I thought the same thing like what the heck? But I talked to a guy with an F-150 at a shopping center and he explained that why they mod them like that. The Dak looks strange because it’s a mid size. The fact that there are parts to even do such a mod to a GenIII Dak is something. We all know serious 3rd. party mod parts like this was all but impossible to find but here we see one completed. Maybe there's hope yet or too little too late. A lot of original owners have sold there trucks already and I was ready to dump mine but the wife said look they have a crap resale value so just run it into the ground.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by graythang
There are alot of trucks like that in Cali. They do the desert runs and the front is suppose to be like that for entry height.
actually its because they dump so much money into the front suspension that the rear lacks. or they dont have it tuned right and the truck has too much squat. desert trucks done right actually have a low equal stance. the angled front skid plate is for the approach angle on jumps.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by peoples1234
It will look sweet when it is done.

I, however, could never do something halfway like that. It would drive me crazy to ride around with the back dragging. I'd save up enough to do both ends before I started, but I still give respect for the undertaking he must have gone through to swap it all out.
The last picture shows the last he posted of it, it's much more level but could still use an inch or two. He also trimmed the fender at that point.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't going for a desert truck look, my guess is he has done more but hasn't posted because dakotausa is a dead forum. He should have come here.

Hey graythang, there are no parts to do such a thing to a 3rd gen, this guys is all custom. I have seen many Ford Rangers done up desert truck style, even here in utah. They look ok, and their front suspensions are crazy looking. Like scissors.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a chance that this is the same guy who had the leveling kit DIY tutorial on this forum a few years back? He said he had the plans to do a SAS. By the pics, driveway, background and the wheels on the truck it looks like him.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

yeah he was going to level it out. he's on car domain, can't remember his name though. the truck is finished now.