Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Dodge Transmission Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 PM
wilfrids
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Dodge Transmission Mystery

hello all, this is my first post and i really need help here.
Long story short... 1995 dodge caravan 3.3L in my garage, third transmission in it (not replaced by me)... same problem, Limp in mode- P0755.
replaced: transmission (twice), shift solenoid, shift solenoid harness, TCM, tested various wires... still no luck, then i come across the article below:

SERVICE ALERT FOR MOPAR TRANSMISSIONS BETWEEN 1990 AND 1999: It has been determined that in over 91% of the transmission problem cases reported (limp mode) that the problem is due, not to mechanical problems within the transmission, but is due instead to a faulty inline wiring harness splice from the factory. The wire from the TCM, the second wire from the solenoid pack and the third wire from the ECU was wired together at the factory when it was determined that there was a communications error to the ECU which is a factory/design flaw.
So on the production floor, a last minute repair was approved to correct the problem. This three wire splice is located in the wiring harness just on top of the transmission down by the three wires that connect to the three plugs located between the radiator and the tranny (or in the region about 12 inches under the battery). Follow the three wires from the front of the tranny and you'll see them disappear into a plastic wiring harness cover about a foot away from where they plug into the tranny. This wiring harness goes into a T junction with another wiring harness. Peel off the entire outer plastic conduit harness covering the T junction about 8 inches in all three directions and you will be able to see the other three wires wired together in a makeshift splice under some factory electrical tape. Peel that tape off and you will discover that the splice is corroded. Because of this corroded factory last minute splice which said corrosion appears about between 30,000 and 120,000 miles depending on how wet your geography is, the ECU cannot communicate with the solenoid pack that goes to the transmission so irregular shifting occurs, namely Limp Mode.
Most certified mechanics only detect the fact that the solenoid pack is not getting a signal or the ECU is not sending a signal so they think that either the solenoid pack is bad or the ECU is bad. They are wrong in both cases. Un-splice the three wires, cut off the corroded wire ends, cut back the insulation to the three wires and RE-SPLICE THEM. Then cover them with new tape. Now the tranny coil pack can receive messages from the ECU to shift the tranny. It’s that simple! ! ! ! ! ! ! Your eternal problem has now been permanently solved and your tranny will shift like new! ! ! ! One other thing, on some Mopar vans this simple problem that causes real havoc in these beautiful vans is the ground wire to the tranny is corroded and must be cleaned or replaced as it causes that same exact symptom of limp mode due to a bad connection.
If people making their complaints on this page knew this, they would still love their vans because they can fix it themselves. Mopar corporation knew this but cannot admit to it as it would cause the largest recall in U.S. history of any vehicle. Now you know what Mopar should have told every Caravan and Voyager purchaser from the get go, clean 3 little wires and problem solved.

can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this, i am about to rip my hair out and drive the van over a cliff:icon_smash:
Thanks so much, and i apologize ahead of time because i don't usually have to resort to asking for help.

The following 6 users liked this post by wilfrids:
actualrebecca (01-23-2024), bigjailerman (10-28-2019), Damtranny (12-18-2023), Dearolddadsgarageexperiment (12-15-2021), JDRcaravan95 (05-19-2022), Rrka396 (12-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Symptom:
P0755-2-4 SOLENOID CIRCUIT
When Monitored and Set Condition:
When Monitored: Ignition key is turned from the OFF to RUN position and/or key is
turned from the CRANK to the RUN position, then every 10 secs thereafter, or when a
speed ratio or pressure switch error occurs. All 4 solenoids are tested for continuity
continuously.
Set Condition: If a solenoid is On, power is momentarily interrupted, then reenergized. If
solenoid is Off, power is momentarily energized, then deenergized. If an inductive spike is
not sensed by the TCM, it is retested. If the solenoid fails 4 times the code sets.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
CHECKING SYMPTOMS AND POSSIBLE CAUSES
LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE CAUSING SYMPTOM
TCM CONNECTOR PIN 57 TO GROUND OPEN
TCM PIN 53 TO GROUND OPEN
TCR OUTPUT (SWITCHED B+) CIRCUIT OPEN
2-4 SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT TO SOLENOID CONNECTOR OPEN
2-4 SOLENOID SHORTED IN SOLENOID PACK
TCM OPEN GROUND
TRANS SOL PACK OPEN (2-4 SOL)
INTERMITTENT CODE P0755292 Check the Global Good Trip Counter.
Is the Global Good Trip Counter 3 or less ?
All
Yes ® Go To 294
No ® Go To 293
293 Write down and record all DTC’s and one trip failures.
With the DRB, erase DTC’s.
Follow the instructions below, and try to set the code.
Code P0755 - Start and run the Engine for a minimum of thirty seconds.
Did the erased DTC come back ?
All
Yes ® Go To 294
No ® Go To 301
294 Disconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.
Measure the resistance between the 2-4 Solenoid Control Circuit and ground.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 295
No ® Go To 296
295 Disconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid Pack Connector.
With an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between the 2-4 Solenoid Control Circuit
and ground at the TCM Connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms ?
All
Yes ® Repair the 2-4 Solenoid Control Circuit for a short to ground.
Perform Transaxle 41AE/TE Verification TEST VER-1A
No ® Replace theTransmission Solenoid Pack
296 Disconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Measure the resistance between the Trans Control Relay Output Circuit and the 2-4
Solenoid Control Circuit at the TCM Connector.
Is the resistance between 1.0 and 3.0 ohms?
All
Yes ® Go To 297
No ® Go To 299
297 Disconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Disconnect the Transmission Control Relay.
Measure the resistance between the Ground Circuit (Pin 57) and ground.
All
Yes ® Go To 298
No ® Repair open ground circuit to the TCM.
TRANSMISSION
P0755-2-4 SOLENOID CIRCUIT — ContinuedDisconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Measure the resistance between the Ground Circuit (Pin 53) and Ground.
All
Yes ® Replace the Transmission Control Module.
No ® Repair the open Ground Circuit to the Transmission Control
Module.
299 Disconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Measure the resistance of the 2-4 Solenoid Control Circuit from the TCM to the
Solenoid Connector.
All
Yes ® Go To 300
No ® Repair the open 2-4 Solenoid Control Circuit.
300 Disconnect the Transmission Control Module Connector.
Disconnect the Transmission Control Relay.
Measure the resistance of the Transmission Control Relay Output Circuit from the
Solenoid Pack to the Transmission Control Relay Connector.
All
Yes ® Replace the Transmission Solenoid Pack .
No ® Repair the open TCR Output (Switched B+) Circuit.
301 Inspect the following for pushed out terminals or flared connections: - Engine gnd
connections - TCM grounds (pins 53 and 57) - TCM battery feed pin 56 - Power feed
to Trans Ctrl Rly from the EATX fuse in the PDC - TCM Fused Ignition Sw Output
pin 11
If the above connections are in good condition, carefully inspect the TCM 60-way
Terminal # 19, and In-line 8-way Terminals 4, and 8 for pushed out terminals or other
damage.
Was a defective condition found?
All
Yes ® Repair as necessary.
No ® Go To 302
TRANSMISSION
P0755-2-4 SOLENOID CIRCUIT — Continued

302 Connect the DRB to the Data Link Connector. Reconnect any disconnected components.
With the DRB, erase all Trouble Codes and set the Global Good Trip Counter
equal to zero.
With the DRB, display Transmission temperature. Start and run the Engine until the
Transmission is HOT (above 110 deg. F) CHECK THE TRANSAXLE FLUID.
ADJUST IF NECESSARY.
Road test the vehicle. With the DRB, monitor the Engine RPM. Make 15 to 20
1-2,2-3,3-4 upshifts. Perform these shifts from a standing start to 45 MPH with a
constant throttle opening of 20 to 25 degrees.
Below 25 MPH, make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kickdowns to 1st gear. Allow at least
5 seconds each in 2nd and 3rd gear between each kickdown.
If the vehicle is equipped with AutoStick, place the shift lever in the AutoStick
position and perform a complete upshift and downshift sequence.
Did the Transaxle function properly during the road test ?
All
Yes ® Test Complete.
No ® Go To 303
303 Note: Low Battery voltage can cause many of the non-DTC Symptoms (denoted by a
preceding asterisk) listed in the Symptoms List.
Check the Battery voltage with a voltmeter.
Is the Battery voltage low ?
All
Yes ® Repair low Battery voltage as necessary and verify that original
symptom exists before proceeding with any non-DTC (Symptoms
preceeded with an asterisk) symptom repairs.
Perform Transaxle 41 TE/AE Verification TEST VER-1A
No ® If Battery voltage is OK, refer to Symptoms List for problems
related to Transmission and select the Non-DTC Symptom (preceeded
with an asterisk) from the Symptoms List that best
describes the existing problem.
Perform Transaxle 41 TE/AE Verification TEST VER-1A
TRANSMISSION

The following 3 users liked this post by master tech:
actualrebecca (01-23-2024), Damtranny (12-18-2023), JDRcaravan95 (05-19-2022)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Joe John fanelli
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what colors are the wires that are spliced

Originally Posted by wilfrids
Long story short... 1995 dodge caravan 3.3L in my garage, third transmission in it (not replaced by me)... same problem, Limp in mode- P0755.
replaced: transmission (twice), shift solenoid, shift solenoid harness, TCM, tested various wires... still no luck, then i come across the article below:

SERVICE ALERT FOR MOPAR TRANSMISSIONS BETWEEN 1990 AND 1999: It has been determined that in over 91% of the transmission problem cases reported (limp mode) that the problem is due, not to mechanical problems within the transmission, but is due instead to a faulty inline wiring harness splice from the factory. The wire from the TCM, the second wire from the solenoid pack and the third wire from the ECU was wired together at the factory when it was determined that there was a communications error to the ECU which is a factory/design flaw.
So on the production floor, a last minute repair was approved to correct the problem. This three wire splice is located in the wiring harness just on top of the transmission down by the three wires that connect to the three plugs located between the radiator and the tranny (or in the region about 12 inches under the battery). Follow the three wires from the front of the tranny and you'll see them disappear into a plastic wiring harness cover about a foot away from where they plug into the tranny. This wiring harness goes into a T junction with another wiring harness. Peel off the entire outer plastic conduit harness covering the T junction about 8 inches in all three directions and you will be able to see the other three wires wired together in a makeshift splice under some factory electrical tape. Peel that tape off and you will discover that the splice is corroded. Because of this corroded factory last minute splice which said corrosion appears about between 30,000 and 120,000 miles depending on how wet your geography is, the ECU cannot communicate with the solenoid pack that goes to the transmission so irregular shifting occurs, namely Limp Mode.
Most certified mechanics only detect the fact that the solenoid pack is not getting a signal or the ECU is not sending a signal so they think that either the solenoid pack is bad or the ECU is bad. They are wrong in both cases. Un-splice the three wires, cut off the corroded wire ends, cut back the insulation to the three wires and RE-SPLICE THEM. Then cover them with new tape. Now the tranny coil pack can receive messages from the ECU to shift the tranny. It’s that simple! ! ! ! ! ! ! Your eternal problem has now been permanently solved and your tranny will shift like new! ! ! ! One other thing, on some Mopar vans this simple problem that causes real havoc in these beautiful vans is the ground wire to the tranny is corroded and must be cleaned or replaced as it causes that same exact symptom of limp mode due to a bad connection.
If people making their complaints on this page knew this, they would still love their vans because they can fix it themselves. Mopar corporation knew this but cannot admit to it as it would cause the largest recall in U.S. history of any vehicle. Now you know what Mopar should have told every Caravan and Voyager purchaser from the get go, clean 3 little wires and problem solved.

can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this, i am about to rip my hair out and drive the van over a cliff
Thanks so much, and i apologize ahead of time because i don't usually have to resort to asking for help.
what colors are the spliced wires

The following users liked this post:
Damtranny (12-18-2023)
Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Joe John fanelli

Originally Posted by wilfrids

can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this, i am about to rip my hair out and drive the van over a cliff
what colors are the spliced wires and we're exactly is the splice

Old 07-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Joe John fanelli

What color are the wires that are spliced together

Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM
byteme
Rookie
Default trans shifter siezed

sorry i dontr mean to hijack but cant seem to find an option to post new so sorry in advance .95 caravan been sitting in the car port for 6-8 years andi want to drag it out but cant get the shifter to move and cant see where the cable would reach the tranny so i can unhook it .All else fails ill drag it out

thanks

Adam Sorensen (01-11-2022)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Nate Garcia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any other tricks to getting the switch valve out? I am stuck here and tapped for a good 15min and the thing won’t budge.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:24 PM
RotorRich

I have 1996 Dodge Caravan with 3.0L engine and a 3 spd auto trans. I get the same limp mode systems described above but I get a P0740 code "Torque Conv clutch circuit open". I have read about the 3 wire splice and ground strap problems is serveral posts from several sites. I have not got into mine yet to check wiring but I have not been able to find a ground strap from the start/trans bolt to body.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 PM
RotorRich

A lot of people report the repair for the limp mode by repairing the wire splice, but, no one gives the exact location where this splice exist or the color of the wires. One person reported the "3 red wires" but neglected to report any tracer color. I got another wire loom out of 98 Caravan, same engine 3.0L and same 31TH trans, my vehicle is a 96, and opened it up looking for the splice. Guess what, I found several splices located in various places and none of the involved red wires, plain red or tracered. So I opened my wire loom and the found several splices but the were of different colored wires than the other one I opened. Also all the splices are not taped. They are coated with some kind of material that looks a lot like heat shrink but MUCH tougher. My Haynes manual only shows the wiring with the 41TE 4 sp trans. I cannot find the correct wiring diagram anywhere. HELP!!

actualrebecca (01-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 PM
FlynDodge
Amateur

This would be a pretty rare ocurrance, but if one of the band anchor wedges comes loose or breaks, the transmission will feel like it's starting off in 3rd gear. 1st gear will not even chirp the tires, and starting on a steep hill will be very difficult when towing. Essentially, the band is allowed to move or spin inside the case and will wedge and wear unevenly. The truck is still driveable, but you'll know something is amiss.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: Dodge Transmission Mystery