2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding a leaf

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding a leaf

Has anyone added 1 leaf spring from a donor truck? I have a 98 ram 1500 I'm parting out. I'm buying a 5th wheel camper and will be towing it with my 99 ram 1500. I would like to add a leaf to the spring pack and wondering if I can add one from the donor truck instead of buying an aftermarket AAL.

Another option could be to swap the leaf spring pack off a 2500 if it's a direct swap, but I'm not sure if it is.

I really don't know if I really need better rear springs but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've removed a leaf for a while then added it back after my sore back got better. Adding a leaf is no problem but you may need some custom hardware since the pack is thicker. Also you should consult an expert cause they'll know exactly what thickness, how many leafs to add, and whether they should roll more curve into them. I had the help of a local spring shop and they could make anything they needed. (Rightway Spring - Tacoma, WA)

You'll need taller clamps, and some extra slip sleeves to go between the new leafs, might need new u bolts too if the old ones don't come off very easily.
You could also get some Timbren helper springs, I have them and they are awesome when the springs bottom out. Also when you are unloaded you're gonna have a rough ride, I installed Sulastic rubber Shackles and the ride is amazingly soft when unloaded, and they still handle the heavy loads.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm sure you can, but I would lean towards air bags. Just add air when you want to tow.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain

Originally Posted by 2bit
I'm sure you can, but I would lean towards air bags. Just add air when you want to tow.
thought about it but the setup isn't cheap. Bags, compressor, controller, tank solenoid. You'd have $600-800 into it. For that I'd buy a new aal at under $100

Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

How much does your trailer weigh? 5th wheels generally aren't light, and I would be more concerned about exceeding the trucks tow rating......

Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Are the two 1500 packs the same?

There are two options for 1500s -
1. 1705 lb rating with 4 leaves
2. 2025 lb rating with 5 leaves

My truck had the lighter pack so I added the Skyjacker AAL which took me as long to do as the entire front end 3" Skyjacker kit. It's tedious with the little center bolt, loosening the packs with C-clamps, lining it up properly, etc. The u-bolts were long enough for another leaf in my truck.

If you have the 5-pack in the 98 but only the 4-pack in the 99, you could just swap the springs around. If they are both 5-packs, you can just add the AAL which is what I'd do. If you steal one leaf from a pack, it will be identical to one of the leaves in the other so you'd have two of the same length which isn't going to work properly but you'll gain height. If you can get an AAL, I'd recommend the long leaves like the Skyjacker versus the short ones. They cost more but work very well. I'm pleased with mine and it is very soft. Most of the stiff ride is due to shocks and tires.

And 2500 springs are wider and will not swap into 1500s. Another option is an aftermarket spring packs for more money like the 2600lb kit from rockauto that is 6 leaves.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How much does your trailer weigh? 5th wheels generally aren't light, and I would be more concerned about exceeding the trucks tow rating......
The trailer wights right around 8,000 lbs so it'll be on the upper end of the limit. This is part of the reason I'd like to add another leaf. In the future there is either a stroker build or 4bt or 12v swap going into this truck. This will likely be a couple years yet though. I recently added an electronic brake controller, upgraded my front calipers/pads to the 8800gvw ones and rear wheel cylinders to the 3/4ton ones as well to aid in stopping the extra weight.

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Are the two 1500 packs the same?

There are two options for 1500s -
1. 1705 lb rating with 4 leaves
2. 2025 lb rating with 5 leaves

My truck had the lighter pack so I added the Skyjacker AAL which took me as long to do as the entire front end 3" Skyjacker kit. It's tedious with the little center bolt, loosening the packs with C-clamps, lining it up properly, etc. The u-bolts were long enough for another leaf in my truck.

If you have the 5-pack in the 98 but only the 4-pack in the 99, you could just swap the springs around. If they are both 5-packs, you can just add the AAL which is what I'd do. If you steal one leaf from a pack, it will be identical to one of the leaves in the other so you'd have two of the same length which isn't going to work properly but you'll gain height. If you can get an AAL, I'd recommend the long leaves like the Skyjacker versus the short ones. They cost more but work very well. I'm pleased with mine and it is very soft. Most of the stiff ride is due to shocks and tires.

And 2500 springs are wider and will not swap into 1500s. Another option is an aftermarket spring packs for more money like the 2600lb kit from rockauto that is 6 leaves.
I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow but I believe it's the 5-spring pack. I know for sure the donor is only 4. My truck is already lifted and the U-bolts are plenty long to accept another leaf spring. In my 97 I put in a short AAL and it wasn't too bad of a task and it really helped that truck but it had tired old springs that were constantly overloaded.

Now that 2025 lb rating is for in the box correct? Cause a 5th wheel disperses the weight both over the rear axle and towing so I'm not exactly sure how that plays into the rating.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
The trailer wights right around 8,000 lbs so it'll be on the upper end of the limit. This is part of the reason I'd like to add another leaf. In the future there is either a stroker build or 4bt or 12v swap going into this truck. This will likely be a couple years yet though. I recently added an electronic brake controller, upgraded my front calipers/pads to the 8800gvw ones and rear wheel cylinders to the 3/4ton ones as well to aid in stopping the extra weight.

I'll have to take a look at mine tomorrow but I believe it's the 5-spring pack. I know for sure the donor is only 4. My truck is already lifted and the U-bolts are plenty long to accept another leaf spring. In my 97 I put in a short AAL and it wasn't too bad of a task and it really helped that truck but it had tired old springs that were constantly overloaded.

Now that 2025 lb rating is for in the box correct? Cause a 5th wheel disperses the weight both over the rear axle and towing so I'm not exactly sure how that plays into the rating.
Well, apparently, the truck is rated for...... 8000 lbs..... So, you are probably over the 'stock' limit. Time for 3/4 ton drivetrain and suspension?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:04 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, apparently, the truck is rated for...... 8000 lbs..... So, you are probably over the 'stock' limit. Time for 3/4 ton drivetrain and suspension?
I've been looking for a donor truck that I could rob driveline and suspension off of but havent had any luck. I've also been looking for a 2500 club cab short box diesel I could swap my body onto but still short on luck. The 4.56 gears should definitely help with getting the load moving. I'm going to stick with 33" tires too instead of going up to 35"

Old 07-28-2017, 01:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
I've been looking for a donor truck that I could rob driveline and suspension off of but havent had any luck. I've also been looking for a 2500 club cab short box diesel I could swap my body onto but still short on luck. The 4.56 gears should definitely help with getting the load moving. I'm going to stick with 33" tires too instead of going up to 35"
If you were closer, I'd sell ya my 96.