1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 5.9 doesn't want to shift out of first

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM
aredriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 5.9 doesn't want to shift out of first

GFs 2000 Durango, 5.9 Auto with 4WD, doesn't want to shift out of first. It was low on fluid, and I topped it off with about a quart, but no change in symptoms. She says it seems to get worse as it heats up. I drove it and tried manually shifting 1,2,D and it wouldn't shift then either. What I noticed was that it would shift, but only after it got to about 25 or so MPH and about 3000 RPM, and only when I backed off the gas for a few seconds. Neither one us can afford a rebuild, does this sound like something related to the sensors? I worked as a mechanic for about 8 years, but know nothing about transmissions. Please tell me I can do something with this other than buy her a new car

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Yep, that sounds a lot like an electronics problem.

Disconnect the 8 pin connector on the trans. Drivers side, about halfway back. Plugs straight down into the top of the valve body. (on the outside of the trans.) With it unplugged, go for a drive. There will be ZERO automatic function, so, start in first, and upshift/downshift when appropriate. There will be no O/D, or TCC either. Three gears is all ya get. If it shifts into the correct gear when you tell it to, up and down, it's just electronics. Can fix it for around 110 bucks, plus fluid, and filter kit. Just get the 'heavy duty' governor solenoid/pressure sensor kit from ebay. Lots of folks sell 'em.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 PM
aredriver

Thanks HeyYou. I will give that a shot tomorrow or Wednesday and report back. Also, do you know what transmission is in this thing? Would it be a 46re?

Last edited by aredriver; 11-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I *think* it's the 46RE, especially behind a 5.9, don't think they put anything lighter behind those.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:38 PM
aredriver

I hate to ask this, but is there another way to disable the electronics? Pulling a fuse or relay maybe? I can see the 8 pin connector but I can't get to it to remove it.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull the trans relay in the PDC. That should accomplish the same thing.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:43 PM
aredriver

OK. I pulled the TRANS relay, and for good measure the 20A TRANS fuse, both in the PDC. Driving it I didn't feel a shift from 1st to 2nd, but there was certainly a shift into 3rd gear each time through, and at 30mph the RPM was around 1500. I ran it until it was good and hot, and it made the shift into 3rd every time. It is entirely possible that it is actually starting in 2nd gear and not first doing this manually, because her linkage is slightly mis-adjusted (the indicator shows between N and D when it is actually in D, etc). So you think this indicates that it would be the governor solenoid/pressure sensor? I found several of those on ebay, as well as a video on how to replace it.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you aren't getting first gear, need to find out why. The indicator in the dash isn't the most accurate thing in the world..... and can be adjusted, but, you need to make sure the linkage is actually doing it's job, and putting the trans all the way down into first gear. (you can check that with the engine off, wheels blocked..... safer that way..... )

If you aren't getting first, even with everything else working right, then changing the electronics probably won't help.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 PM
aredriver

OK, I will look for info on how to check and adjust the linkage. That thing has been like that for the 6 years that we have been together. You have no idea how much I wanted you to say the Governor would at least get it back to how it was