2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lighting issue in need of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:06 PM
jmareiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting issue in need of ideas

Hey everyone so last week I picked up a 01 2500 v10 and I thought I got a great deal on it, turns out it was the opposite. I have quite a few problems and ill probably post a few other threads on that, but I'm going to start with this. As of right now my low beams don't work but highs do. My running lights and cab lights work too. My turn signals don't flash they just stay lit. Then there is the rears.. I have nothing! No running lights brake or turn signals. I do know I am getting power to the sockets but something is now allowing it to call. Any ideas on what it could be??

Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jmareiro
Hey everyone so last week I picked up a 01 2500 v10 and I thought I got a great deal on it, turns out it was the opposite. I have quite a few problems and ill probably post a few other threads on that, but I'm going to start with this. As of right now my low beams don't work but highs do. My running lights and cab lights work too. My turn signals don't flash they just stay lit. Then there is the rears.. I have nothing! No running lights brake or turn signals. I do know I am getting power to the sockets but something is now allowing it to call. Any ideas on what it could be??
For the lows do this: 1st make sure the bulbs are good 2nd get a test light from Walmart (it will do both the hot wire and the ground wire) verify you are getting power and grounds to the plug is step 1 turned out to be a good bulb
For the turns: Do the same as step 2 for the lows I suspect either a bad ground or multifunctional switch
For the rear: Same as step 2 for the lows
Post back what you find out and I'll help you from there. I had basically every electrical problem known to man on these trucks so I'm pretty much an expert

Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Start simple first. You've tested power to the sockets, right? Pop the cover to the fuses (there's two - one under the hood and one in the cab on the side of the dash). The flasher is in the dash panel. Replace that. Then replace bulbs and see what gives. Might have bad relays too. Check for mice nests as they will eat wires.

Could also be an issue with the switches on the dash (both light and multi-function). Check all that and report back.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Start simple first. You've tested power to the sockets, right? Pop the cover to the fuses (there's two - one under the hood and one in the cab on the side of the dash). The flasher is in the dash panel. Replace that. Then replace bulbs and see what gives. Might have bad relays too. Check for mice nests as they will eat wires.

Could also be an issue with the switches on the dash (both light and multi-function). Check all that and report back.
Also what he said I should have included that

Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

2 or 4 bulb system?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 AM
jmareiro

Originally Posted by HeyYou
2 or 4 bulb system?
it's a two bulb system.
I check the rear tail lights with an ohm meter and im getting power to the socket. I also tried swapping out my headlight switch with the one from my 98 ram because i knew it worked, but had no change. So I'm still at a loss and can't figure out what's going on.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Headlight switch provides ground path for your lights. Since your high beams work, that means you are getting power TO the lights at least. No low beams indicate that you are not getting a ground for those. (or, both bulbs are bad......) Need to find out where you are losing the circuit. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be the multifunction switch in the steering column. (which may also explain why some of your other lights don't work either.)

Old 02-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't rule out bulbs. When they go, just the low beam can be burnt out but highs remain. How's the wiring look under the column and behind the switch? Someone may have screwed up extra lights or alarm installs previously.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:54 PM
jmareiro

Okay so my lights are somewhat fixed! Mainly my rear lights, after testing and testing I found out that I had a bad ground by means of a broken wire. I've replaced my headlight switch but it didn't make a difference so I'm still having trouble with the low beam lights. I have a feeling it's my multi function switch but haven't gotten around to swapping it out.

Quick Reply: Lighting issue in need of ideas