2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My first Dodge!!! Giving a brother some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Michael92
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Dodge!!! Giving a brother some problems.

So I bought me a 99 Dodge ram 1500 5.9l auto. It's been having some tranny issues (holding 2cd till 2500 rpm then shifting to third usually with a clunk) doesnt shift till i left off gas unless above about 2750 rpms. it's also quick to go into the overdrive gear and starts jerking like a slip. I've notice it's only in od with load on the engine.
I also have the msd 6a with blaster 3 coil. Witch I think is throwing the p0351 soft code (no mil). Can that cause my sputtering, lunging ? I heard a tach adapter cures it but idk witch one I'd need.
Also having my tranny looked at today. No codes on the tranny either. 46re tranny OF COURSE!

I love this truck over my avalanche. And i got a baby coming and need my tranny and truck running smooooooothhhhhh.. can't be whiplashing my new born lol

Old 03-21-2018, 03:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Bypass the MSD system while troubleshooting. Remove it from the list of possibilities.

has the plenum been fixed on that truck yet? See any oil in the intake? (check the plenum thread at the top of this forum for more info.)

When was the last time the trans was serviced? Fluid/filter/band adjustment? If you don't know, it's time to do it.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:56 PM
Michael92
Rookie

I haven't looked down the plenum yet. I Will this weekend. I hope the plenun was fixed considering someone took the time to take off the original and put on a Hughes. I will definitely check though, along with bypassing the msd once I figure out how.
​​​​​​The transmission has fresh fluid so I'm thinking someone's been in there and adjusted the bands themselves (improperly). I've only adjusted the tv cable and no change.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Michael92
Rookie

Sorry. I replied yesterday but it never posted.
ill try bypassing the msd this weekend along with looking down in the plenum. It has a Hughes intake so whoever did that hopefully did the plenum gasket also.
And the fluid is fresh witch makes me think someone's been in it. I'll be ordering a 46re sensor/gasket kit soon and I'll adjust bands and all the good stuff then.
Really weird question... I had a little box with a turn **** and red on off switch in my cab, by my feet and someone ran it in the wiring of the manifold temp sensor. Since the Hughes doesn't have a port for it. Why the hell would someone do this? It was an inline switch between the wiring harness and wires off the sensor.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the hughes intake, there is no plenum gasket, so, that is most certainly not a problem.

The funny little box was probably to spoof a signal for the intake air temp sensor, as without it, the PCM would set a code.

You can mount it in the intake, or air cleaner housing, wherever you can find a spot where the wiring will reach.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Michael92
Rookie

Wow! Didn't know the Hughes didn't have a gasket.. crazy. What seals it then?
I have the sensor in my cai. And I disconnected the module box and no code. So they where just idiots
And as far as my tranny goes, buddy at the tranny shop squeezed me in. Pulled my tv cable all the way out, set the clip. And it's danm near like butter shifting. I've gave it a little more pressure as Ive adjusted it but it's golden. For now... Hah now I just gotta get my locker in the back straightened out. And of course steering lol

Old 03-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Michael92
Rookie

Thanks for all the help hey you. HEY YOU, you da man! Haha you a Dodge tech or something?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The stock manifold is two piece, so, there is a gasket where you have to disassemble the motor to change it.... not what I consider a 'good idea™". Hughes is a one piece, so, no plenum gasket for that one. Still need the gaskets between the heads and intake, and intake and throttle body.

Some folks will play with the signal voltage of the IAT to fool the computer into thinking the air is colder than it is, so, the PCM adds more fuel.... at least, until it goes into closed loop, and starts paying attention to the oxygen sensor. (about two minutes, so, yeah, worthless mod.)

I have been doing the wrench turnin' thing for a LONG time. (better than 40 years.....) Not always for a living though. And the dodges, 99% of what I learned that is specific to them, I learned hangin' out here. (for 8 years...... )

Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 PM
Michael92
Rookie

That's a pretty poopy setup. Glad mines changed then, less work for me

That sounds like more of a waste of time to hook up a box then what you get out of it. 2 minutes of play time and it probably took them 30 to install it.

i think that's awesome man! Almost every post I read you've commented so i just had to ask
Thank you for the good information and all the help. I'm sure this won't be the only time.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

We'll be here.

Quick Reply: My first Dodge!!! Giving a brother some problems.