2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 running rich and slightly rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 running rich and slightly rough

Hey everyone, we’re down to the last issue with the truck. My new to me 2001 ram 1500 5.9 sport with a loaded interior, loving it so far and I missed having a second gen. The final issue I speak of is a running issue, it takes a while to start maybe 5-7 seconds of cranking before it chokes to life and has this slight skip. Runs pretty rich which is horrible since it’s my daily driver and I need to get the best mileage I can. I’m running 89 octane, new cap and rotor and plug wires. Haven’t gotten to the plugs because I don’t want to break them off and I haven’t found what’s best for these trucks but it’s got newer plugs I was more so doing them for peace of mind. Cap and rotor on the other hand were shot. What might be my problem? I’m at a loss with it, OH and it’s got new o2 sensors.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

What brand O2 sensors?

Swap the plugs with your favorite brand copper plugs. Skip the rare earth fellers, they have been responsible for more 'mystery miss' problems than I care to think about. Some folks have no issues with them. Others have nothing but issues with them. The engines were designed for the copper guys, so, I stick with those.

Given the condition of the cap/rotor, I would be REAL curious what the plugs look like..... However, I suspect that isn't the only thing contributing to your issue. Fuel pressure would be next up on my list of things to check..... a weak/failing pump will show itself first with long crank times, and poor performance till the O2 sensor comes in to play... then it may or may not run a bit better. Long term fuel trims will also tell the tale there. If the PCM is adding a lot of fuel, you can bet that pressure is low.

Running rich though, points me in another direction...... coolant temp sensor. If the PCM thinks its colder than it really is, it will run the mixture pig rich, also giving you hard start/poor performance.....

So, start with the cheap and easy stuff, replace the plugs, and reset the PCM, see if anything changes.

And, just out of idle curiosity, have you had a look at your intake plenum yet?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand O2 sensors?

Swap the plugs with your favorite brand copper plugs. Skip the rare earth fellers, they have been responsible for more 'mystery miss' problems than I care to think about. Some folks have no issues with them. Others have nothing but issues with them. The engines were designed for the copper guys, so, I stick with those.

Given the condition of the cap/rotor, I would be REAL curious what the plugs look like..... However, I suspect that isn't the only thing contributing to your issue. Fuel pressure would be next up on my list of things to check..... a weak/failing pump will show itself first with long crank times, and poor performance till the O2 sensor comes in to play... then it may or may not run a bit better. Long term fuel trims will also tell the tale there. If the PCM is adding a lot of fuel, you can bet that pressure is low.

Running rich though, points me in another direction...... coolant temp sensor. If the PCM thinks its colder than it really is, it will run the mixture pig rich, also giving you hard start/poor performance.....

So, start with the cheap and easy stuff, replace the plugs, and reset the PCM, see if anything changes.

And, just out of idle curiosity, have you had a look at your intake plenum yet?
first thjnf I looked at before I bought it, shoved a light in the throttle body to check for oils and saw nothing. Doesn’t burn anything other than too much fuel!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:41 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Your first long term investment in this beast, if you don't already have one, should be to get a scanner that is capable of reading live data. Not alotta money...approximately 3.3 billion rubels or around 30-40 bucks American.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by true blue
Your first long term investment in this beast, if you don't already have one, should be to get a scanner that is capable of reading live data. Not alotta money...approximately 3.3 billion rubels or around 30-40 bucks American.
yeah I definitely need one to see my short term and long term fuel trims, I have a Chrysler reflash pcm that I’ve been told was flashed for more power which when everything is all set and she’s all happy it’s going in the truck. Or I’ll sell it lol

Old 04-20-2018, 06:15 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

the PCM or the pickup?

Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by true blue
the PCM or the pickup?
yerp, the sticker is on another truck that has the core support. Truck was parted out and the computer ended up in my hands for free.99

Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Jmikk
Professional

So, I know our trucks are reccomended copper plugs with maybe one heat range lower than oem plugs and many people say don’t bother with rare earth plugs and such but what’s everyone’s experience with iridium plugs or e3 plugs in our motors? What’s the side effect of straying from copper?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Iridium is a rare-earth plug. Sometimes known to cause mystery misfires.

E3 plugs are just a gimmick. The spark is going to take the path of least resistance, doesn't matter how many electrodes you have in there.

Stick with copper plugs, you will be happier.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Iridium is a rare-earth plug. Sometimes known to cause mystery misfires.

E3 plugs are just a gimmick. The spark is going to take the path of least resistance, doesn't matter how many electrodes you have in there.

Stick with copper plugs, you will be happier.
lower heat autolites it is

Quick Reply: 5.9 running rich and slightly rough