2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Second gen Cummins has new ecm still won’t run right

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 AM
Ivan Rybalko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second gen Cummins has new ecm still won’t run right

Hi guys, need some help, I have a Ram 2500 Cummins, 5.9 Desial, I was pushing on it a little to hard one day and my rpm tack stopped working, I got the codes scanned and was told it was the crank shaft pos sensor, replaced that and it ran fine, 5 days later I was on the free way and my tack falls again, same codes, changed the sensor one more time and it ran fine, two days later same thing happens, but this time I changed the sensor and the tack still Dosent work, I checked evrything o possible can, wires fuses other sensors I replaced, still same thing, got annoyed and went to the shop, they checked it out for three days and told me it was my pcm, got a new one for 6 bills and new program for another bill, same thing tack does not work, I went back to the shop and said I changed it and still donset work, they checked it out and this time they said it was the ECM, I got a new one for 9 bills and new program for one bill, same ****, runs gutless and rpm tack does not work, I have no idea what it is, and suggestions?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:10 AM
Ivan Rybalko
Default Second gen Cummins has new ecm still won’t run right

Hi guys, need some help, I have a Ram 2500 24v 5spd Cummins, 5.9 Desial, I was pushing on it a little to hard one day and my rpm tack stopped working, I got the codes scanned and was told it was the crank shaft pos sensor, replaced that and it ran fine, 5 days later I was on the free way and my tack falls again, same codes, changed the sensor one more time and it ran fine, two days later same thing happens, but this time I changed the sensor and the tack still Dosent work, I checked evrything o possible can, wires fuses other sensors I replaced, still same thing, got annoyed and went to the shop, they checked it out for three days and told me it was my pcm, got a new one for 6 bills and new program for another bill, same thing tack does not work, I went back to the shop and said I changed it and still donset work, they checked it out and this time they said it was the ECM, I got a new one for 9 bills and new program for one bill, same ****, runs gutless and rpm tack does not work, I have no idea what it is, and suggestions?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

The shop is ripping you off. Your truck has one PCM. (powertrain control module.) Some folks may call it ECM, but, it is one and the same thing.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Ivan Rybalko

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The shop is ripping you off. Your truck has one PCM. (powertrain control module.) Some folks may call it ECM, but, it is one and the same thing.

no pcm is on the fire wall I changed that, ecm is in the block wich I changed too

Old 04-24-2018, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

So it does. That's news......

What brand crank sensor did you get? If it wasn't genuine mopar, may want to get one from the dealership, and see if that doesn't improve its attitude.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:03 PM
FCA Master

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The new trucks do have one PCM on the block that controls both engine and transmission functions. The second gens, however, had a PCM on the fire wall and a Cummins ECM on the block. The ECM almost never goes bad. I do agree with you, however, that the shop is ripping him off as they charged him good money and did not fix the primary complaint.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 PM
Ivan Rybalko

well I went there today and they said it’s a ground wiring issue, however I did chek all wires and checked the amps, there all good, I have no clue what is going on

Old 04-24-2018, 11:58 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Find a new shop!!! Where in WA are you?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Ivan Rybalko

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Find a new shop!!! Where in WA are you?
Spokane wa, and I bet they will charge me up the *** too

Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh, there should be tons of diesel only shops up there. And they may charge you up the ***, but what has the current shop been doing? At least they'll fix it once and not screw you around. Or just take it Cummins by the airport!

Quick Reply: Second gen Cummins has new ecm still won’t run right