2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Two fun new sounds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two fun new sounds.

96 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2

This one is ONLY in reverse and not sure it its a regular thing or not since I don't spend a lot of time in reverse.

My oil was a little low a few weeks ago but I put some in cause I was getting the whole pressure drop and light coming on thing when coming to stops but this was only after driving it once which was long enough to notice and I already have some oil in the backseat so I took care of that much asap and I've seen a few of the threads about the sensor or more but like I said, I noticed the drop and light pretty fast and checked the oil so no real problem until this. This was in reverse or drive with my foot on the brake pedal and the oil light would flicker with it but no pressure drop. Only reverse or drive with my foot on the brake. Put it in park or neutral and even with my foot on the brake, no noise. Might be hard to hear but I can say it doesn't really sound like lifter tick to me.The truck was warm after a short drive and I had no pressure drop, no light, no sound, nothing when braking, coming to a stop, nothing. I got home, stopped, was still in drive on the brake and noticed it.

I've literally had the worst luck and last two weeks of my life so why not add to it?

Last edited by melodytoinvent; 07-17-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Do you mean the static sound in the first video? Sounds like the coil wire is arcing somewhere. Can't hear much in the second one but sounds like an exhaust leak.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:58 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On the second one, do you feel any thumping in the floorboard ?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
Do you mean the static sound in the first video? Sounds like the coil wire is arcing somewhere. Can't hear much in the second one but sounds like an exhaust leak.
Yeah,from the start of the video to 14 seconds then again at 54 seconds, 1:24 to the end here and there. The second one I'll try to get a better clip of but kind of hard cause I was alone. No exhaust leak that I know of and did kinda check for them anyway that day just cause.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by racefan41
On the second one, do you feel any thumping in the floorboard ?
Floorboard, no. Definitely sounds like its coming from the engine bay and don't recall feeling anything anywhere. It is a faint sound but still something I noticed right away.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 AM
jlake4130
Professional

in the first one, if you get under the truck and put your head by the bell housing i bet that is where the noise is coming from. Be sure someone is in the truck with the brake on, lol.
I had a similar sound and my torque converter eventually failed.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by jlake4130
in the first one, if you get under the truck and put your head by the bell housing i bet that is where the noise is coming from. Be sure someone is in the truck with the brake on, lol.
I had a similar sound and my torque converter eventually failed.
Yeah, I originally posted this video months ago and was told it was just the torque converter filling up or something, I believe. But it literally does this every time so I think its safe to say I should start to worry lol.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Hhhmmm... Don't really hear anything, but, my hearing ain't the best. Whereabouts in michigan are you?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:25 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it the humming/buzz sound you're talking about? Does it do it all the time or is it after its sat overnight?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhhmmm... Don't really hear anything, but, my hearing ain't the best. Whereabouts in michigan are you?
We've covered this probably 5 times, both ways lol. Too far for you to come take a look unless you feel like driving across state cause I surely ain't gonna do that lol.

Quick Reply: Two fun new sounds.