2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does your key come out in accessories position?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:22 AM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your key come out in accessories position?

I did something silly the other day. I had the radio turned down, parked and got out of the car. When I turn off the truck the key commonly swings all the way back to accessory and the key comes out in that position. I do this all the time. If the radio is on, I notice and without putting the key back in I can rotate the key back up to "off". I didnt notice that day and drained my battery. No big deal. However I was wondering if this is "normal" does the key come out in accessory position on your truck?

thanks.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

No. Time for a new key.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

That shouldn't happen. It's new key time or new lock cylinder time.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:26 PM
rayaa3
Professional

I have 2 keys. They both do it. So cylinder then?

Can someone adjust the door locks for the new key that comes with the ignition cylinder, or am I going to have to replace those if I want them to match?

if so, who would do that kind of door job, a locksmith?

I've never had to replace key/lock cylinders on a vehicle, but on a VW I once replaced the ignition switch(ever electrical switch or connector in a vw will eventually fail!). Seems like it would be similar.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I mentioned the lock cylinder as I've had that issue in the past. A locksmith may be able to re-key your door lock cylinders. Best to call a few and determine what's possible.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaa3
I have 2 keys. They both do it. So cylinder then?

Can someone adjust the door locks for the new key that comes with the ignition cylinder, or am I going to have to replace those if I want them to match?

if so, who would do that kind of door job, a locksmith?

I've never had to replace key/lock cylinders on a vehicle, but on a VW I once replaced the ignition switch(ever electrical switch or connector in a vw will eventually fail!). Seems like it would be similar.
Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I mentioned the lock cylinder as I've had that issue in the past. A locksmith may be able to re-key your door lock cylinders. Best to call a few and determine what's possible.
They can do the door cylinders but they have to be out of the truck! I have to keys now one for the driver's door and one for the ignition because I have to different doors on my truck

Old 11-12-2018, 03:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,207 Likes on 2,959 Posts

I would be more tempted to have the ignition lock cylinder rekeyed to my old key......

Old 11-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Door locks can be done. I did mine after the break-in.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:39 PM
rayaa3
Professional

Not necessary as I was mistake about the 2nd key...it DOES NOT do it.

I would have sworn I had tried both keys...but I think a year ago when I first noticed the issue I only tried the same key twice.

I have 1 dodge cut key, as well as a second key that was cut on a generic blank. I thought for sure I had tried both keys. However, before I pulled out my wallet and ordered a part I thought "man that was almost a year ago...I should go double check."

Indeed, my key that is, original?, and cut from a dodge blank. ---does not come out in acc position.

The one that is aftermarket/generic blank cut key --does come out in acc position.

So glad I tried it before ordering a part.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with my 01 3.9 ram I had before it had issues with 2 outta the 3 keys the guy gave me when I got the truck, so odd. I don't believe any were the original dodge key though..... I still actually have the 3rd key sitting around my computer desk I forgot to give him way back, oops. Maybe the machine just didn't cut them good. Offhand I remember them either not wanting to turn the truck on, the cylinder would be totally locked up, and/or them also not wanting to come out either.

I will say I'm glad the 2nd gen ram trucks don't have chips in the key, those are really expensive to copy/get another iirc....I can go to any hardware store/walmart and get a $2 copy done of my key. On my 95 ram I do have the original dodge key.

Quick Reply: Does your key come out in accessories position?