2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:52 PM
98Dodge4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies

Hello everyone, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 98 1500 4x4 5.2L Like everywhere else its covered in snow an yesterday i tried to run to the store for some chew. Well i put the thing in 4wd tried to back out the driveway an before i made it out the driveway the truck just died started it back up an same thing (my driveway is barely 50 feet long) i put it in 2wd n pulled out the driveway then just cut it off. Looked around didnt see anything wrong its full of gas also. Was thinking maybe bad gas but i doubt it. Cleaned the snow off the driveway an it run good in 2wd. Also when i run the truck to the walmart (5 mins down the road) when i come back out the thing barely spins over enough to crank its been doing this awhile now. for some reason when its warmed up it barely wants to start back. I would think it would start up no problems after its hot but i guess not. anyways hope someone knows the 4wd problem atleast

Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Welcome to DF. Moving this to second gen ram section for ya.

Given the intermittent nature of your issue, it's gonna be fun to find...... Does it drive ok going forward??

Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Given the intermittent nature of your issue, it's gonna be fun to find...... Does it drive ok going forward??
Couldn't it be a sleepy failing crank position sensor? The barely starting might be the starter.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Couldn't it be a sleepy failing crank position sensor? The barely starting might be the starter.
Entirely possible.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did it throw any codes?

Old 12-12-2018, 11:57 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If putting it in 4wd made it quit, it's probably a vacuum leak. Could also be a bad IAC valve.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:50 PM
98Dodge4x4

Hello everyone and thanks HeyYou for moving this post didnt even realize it was in New Members area. Anyways i just seen yalls response. Yes it drives great forward and reverse while in 2wd but 4wd it just keeps dying. I had a vacuum leak awhile back going thru the firewall i got that fixed i know cause my vent selector works n thats what was wrong. Starting problem maybe the starter but i dont see why it would be since it starts fine cold but after i cut it off it barely wants to spin over n start. Also half the time i try and start it it doesnt do anything but i put it in Neutral and it starts right up. Something to do with the neutral safety switch which i done put a new 1 in. Anyone have a diagram or something just for the 4wd vacuum lines? I will try to check them since it dies in 4wd

Old 12-15-2018, 05:24 PM
98Dodge4x4

No it didnt throw any codes. I got up under it today with it running and i checked the vac lines for 4wd and from what i could see i dont think theres a leak. Thats from just looking and trying hear tho. Also i noticed my u joint is shot on the drivers side and the seal in the tube. Any tips or anything special about changing them? Should i go ahead and change the ujoint and seal on the other side at the same time or just the 1? I know the seal is shot cause its leaking. Any tips on what ujoint to buy that will last? Any help would be appreciated, looks like i got a whole weekend to diagnose and fix problems. Seems like i got a ford lmao Fix Or Repair Daily

Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The drivers side axle seal is a pain. Gotta pull the differential out of the housing to get to it. I thought that was a rather poor design decision, but, as always, I wasn't consulted when they were drawing it up.

If one is bad, its a safe bet the other one isn't far behind. Might just as well do both sides.

Why it dies when you put it in 4x4 is a mystery...... Take a close look at the steel lines that run along the frame. They like to rust out.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Seanio Landerman

Originally Posted by HeyYou

hi there I just signed up for the forums and I see you're always helping people out so I was wondering if you could help me. I just bought a 96 1500 5.2 today and I got it home and let it chill while i was taking some of the rice mods off. I started it and went to put it in reverse and it died on me. I had to hold down the gas or just not put my foot on the brake at all. I was then sitting in it later tonight and it ran all the to full temp and I put it in reverse and it stalled. So then I started it back up and decided to put it in drive. It stalled again. I ended up having to just throw it into drive with no brake (pretty wild on an incline btw) just to get it not to stall. So I popped the hood and I can't tell if it's new or just old gunk but the tranny lines are just covered in it. Please help me

Quick Reply: Truck dies